Primary Location : BC-Vancouver
Other Locations : ON-Toronto, AB-Calgary
Sector : Office of the V.-P., Insurance Operations
Language Designation : Various Language Designations
Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak) : BBC and ZZZ
Position Level / Salary Range : 8 ($64,948 to $81,198)
Position Status : Permanent full-time
Security Requirement : Reliability Status
CMHC:Because What I Do Matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) is the heart of a world leading housing system that is making a difference for Canadians every day by helping them meet their housing needs. As Canada’s authority on housing, CMHC works with a variety of stakeholders to help ensure that the Canadian housing system remains one of the best in the world. Our work matters to a great many people and our employees matter to us.
Bring your communication skills and your mortgage expertise to this Residential Underwriter position. The position can be based in Vancouver, Calgary or Toronto. We also might use this competition to fill positions in other CMHC locations across Canada.
As a member of the Homeowner Underwriting team, you will ensure the mortgage underwriting of loans for new and existing homeowner properties with 1 to 4 units using the emili system, and while providing excellent client service through effective communication about CMHC’s mortgage insurance products, policies and guidelines.
Theses permanent positions are an exceptional opportunity for an individual with strong analytical and communication skills to achieve his/her professional goals, while creating a sustainable organization that is at the heart of a world leading housing system. Our diverse opportunities and locations across the country enable you to advance and grow your skills, knowledge and career to match your evolving interests and experience.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Analyzing the information contained in the insurance applications transmitted by approved lenders, in particular, the information related to the borrower, the property, the market and the lender;
- Obtaining, if necessary, additional information to ensure the risk meets CMHC parameters;
- Determining whether or not the lender’s application is acceptable, considering, in this regard, mitigating actions before making a decision;
- Providing information and professional opinions on areas of activity covered by CMHC mortgage loan insurance;
- Communicating clear rationale for underwriting decisions in manner that achieves lender concurrence and understanding;
- Identifying and recommending other options that may be beneficial to the client;
- Clarifying CMHC’s underwriting policies to approved lenders.
What We Are Looking For
Bachelor's degree in administration and at least three years of experience in mortgage underwriting or individual credit analysis or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience will also be considered;
Accredited Mortgage Professional or Certified Residential Underwriter designations would be considered an asset;
Demonstrated experience using property evaluation tools;
Demonstrated experience assessing risk associated with mortgage lending.
Understanding of the Mortgage industry environment;
Extensive knowledge of provincial legislation which may impact CMHC mortgage loans policy;
Knowledge of the principles of risk management;
In-depth knowledge of risk factors related to credit, employment, local market conditions and mortgage sector trends;
Knowledge of principles of residential property appraisals;
Knowledge of fraud indicators;
Demonstrated ability to read and interpret consumer credit bureau reports;
Excellent interpersonal and decision making skills;
Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to provide understandable, clear and consistent responses within areas of responsibility;
- Ability to manage flexible work hours, including some evenings and weekends.
- CMHC Homeowner Underwriting offers service to clients from 8 am to 8 pm local time Monday to Friday and from 9 am to 5 pm Saturday. All Residential Underwriters are expected to make themselves available for a rotating shift schedule to accommodate these business demands as well as for overtime during the peak volume periods.
Client focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
Analytical Thinking/ Communication/ Decisiveness/ Efficiency /Flexibility /Teamwork
What CMHC Has To Offer
Competitive Total Compensation package
Competitive Annual Salary
Comprehensive flex benefit program
Defined Contribution Pension Plan
Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
New Hire Mentorship Program
Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST on October 27, 2017 however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
Note, if you are applying for the bilingual position, this position requires bilingualism in English and French, with the ability to read, understand and speak in your second official language at an advanced level and to write in your second official language at an intermediate level. Candidates who do not currently have valid language test results recognised by CMHC will be required to take a language test. https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/corp/ca/upload/guide-second-laguage-proficiency-tests.pdf
Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
Candidates must be eligible for Reliability Clearance.