Are you a conscientious and well-organized Registered Nurse, with a strong commitment to the care and well-being of others? If so, please consider this rewarding opportunity to join the health care team at the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.
We are currently seeking:
• 2 Registered Nurses at the Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre (London)
• 3 Registered Nurses at the Hamilton-Wentworth Detention Centre (Hamilton)
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Conduct health assessments for the purposes of triage and on-going care
• Plan for and provide health care treatment
• Monitor adherence to treatment plans and response to health care interventions
• Liaise with community care providers to obtain health histories and to facilitate transitional care at discharge for both remand and intermittent inmates
• Participate in case management
• Advocate for and encourage patient participation in the plan of care
• Act as a resource for patients, staff and external stakeholders by sharing your knowledge and expertise
• Work collaboratively as a member of the inter-professional team to develop, implement and evaluate patient-specific plans of care
• Contribute to health program development within the institution
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other staff members and external stakeholders
• Practice in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• Practice in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
• Provide emergency care, acute care, crisis intervention, health teaching, and counseling when required for patients considered medically stable and unstable
Locations: Hamilton, London
How do I qualify?
• You are currently a registered nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• You are able to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 24 hours per day, 7 days per week service
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
• You have demonstrated knowledge of nursing theories, evidence-based practices, current treatment modalities, community health care resources, and CNO Standards and Guidelines
• You have experience providing health care services, including the assessment, development, implementation, and modification of treatment and care plans
• You are able to understand and comply with relevant legislation and regulations (i.e. Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Mental Health Act)
• You have the ability to understand and follow corporate policies and procedures in order to ensure the safety and security of patients and health care areas
Communication (oral and written) and Interpersonal Skills
• You can work effectively as a member of an inter-professional team as well as with diverse client groups
• You are able to provide advice, instructions, and counsel to patients on health care treatment
• You can clarify health care information to patients and staff
• You are an effective patient advocate
• You have writing skills to maintain thorough documentation and prepare progress notes, care plans, and nursing summaries
Strong Observational and Analytical Skills
• You have reasoning skills to identify health problems and evaluate a patient's response to planned health care intervention
• You have demonstrated critical thinking and analytical skills to provide emergency, urgent, and routine health care services
• You are able to respond to patient complaints and concerns
Salary Range: $1,268.82 - $1,581.87 per week
- 2 Permanent, 711 Exeter Rd, London, West Region, Enhanced – Criminal Record (CPIC) Check, Vulnerable Service Sector (VSS) check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Credit Check
- 3 Permanent, 165 Barton St E, Hamilton, West Region, Enhanced – Criminal Record (CPIC) Check, Vulnerable Service Sector (VSS) check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Credit Check
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 103097, by Tuesday, January 24, 2017. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.