Bring your knowledge and clinical expertise to provide mental health care in the role of Mental Health Nurse within the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.
We are currently seeking:
• 4 Mental Health Nurses at the Maplehurst Correctional Complex (Milton)
• 1 Mental Health Nurse at the Toronto East Detention Centre (Scarborough)
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will use your specialized knowledge and skills to provide patient-centred mental health care to inmates.
Specifically, you will:
• conduct mental health assessments for the purposes of triage and on-going care
• plan and implement treatment plans
• monitor adherence and response to treatment plans and health care interventions
• liaise with community care providers to obtain mental health histories and facilitate transitional care at discharge
• lead case management by initiating patient-specific plans of care
• coordinate care with other members of the health care team, such as primary care, psychiatry, social work and psychology
• utilize your sound knowledge of crisis prevention and intervention
• contribute to mental health program development within the institution
• establish and maintain positive working relationships with other staff members and external stakeholders
• share your knowledge and expertise with other staff members
• practice in accordance with College of Nurses of Ontario Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• practice in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
Locations: Milton, Toronto
How do I qualify?
• you must be registered as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario and be in good standing
• you are enrolled in or have completed a certificate in a mental health nursing program
• you are able to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 24 hours per day, 7 days per week service
Specialized Knowledge and Leadership Skills:
• you have in-depth knowledge of mental illness, mental health nursing theory, community mental health resources, evidence-based practices and current treatment options acquired through enrolment in/completion of a post-diploma/post-degree certificate program in mental health, and supplemented by continuing education in mental health/psychiatry
• you have knowledge of, and can interpret and apply relevant legislation (e.g. the Mental Health Act, Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Personal Health Information Protection Act)
• you can provide expertise and guidance to others in the area of mental health
Clinical Assessment, Critical Reasoning and Analytical Skills:
• you can elicit, interpret and evaluate information obtained from patients and other sources and draw conclusions to develop a plan of care
• you can evaluate patient responses to planned interventions and modify care plans in collaboration with the inter-professional team to achieve established goals
• you can address crisis situations and implement appropriate interventions
Communication, Interpersonal and Negotiation Skills:
• you communicate effectively and can present information in a clear and concise manner
• you can work collaboratively with others, such as the inter-professional team, correctional staff and community agencies
• you are an effective patient advocate
• you can clearly communicate care and progress through documentation, including progress notes, written care plans, clinical and administrative summaries
• you can support patients in working towards achieving identified goals
• you can adapt your communication skills to provide information and health teaching to a diverse population
• you advocate for and encourage patient participation in their plan of care
• you are proficient with various computer software applications and databases (i.e. spreadsheet, email, word processing)
Salary Range: $1,367.32 - $1,707.91 per week
- 4 Permanent, 661 Martin St, Milton, Central Region, Enhanced – Vulnerable Service Sector Check, Local Police Record Check, Intelligence Check, Credit Check
- 1 Permanent, 55 Civic Rd, Toronto, Toronto Region, Enhanced – Vulnerable Service Sector Check, Local Police Record Check, Intelligence Check, Credit Check
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 103113, by Tuesday, January 24, 2017. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.