Last Updated on December 1, 2015
Workopolis partners with various professional associations, government agencies, media suppliers, educational institutions and other associations in order to administer the online job board offered by such associations. The website that this job board is located on is owned and operated by such an association (hereinafter referred to as the ‘Association’). Workopolis merely supports and hosts that part of the website consisting of the online job board management system (the ‘Job Board’), for and on behalf of the Association.
- Protection of Personal Information
- What Information Do Workopolis and the Association Collect
- Use of Information by Workopolis
- Retention of Information
- Your Consent
- Disclosure of Information
- Access and Accuracy and Update of Personal Information
- Co-branded and Other Associated Sites
- Contact Us
Protection of Personal Information
- Canadian law governs the collection, use and disclosure of personal information in a manner that recognizes individuals' right of privacy with respect to their personal information.
- PIPEDA provides certain fundamental principles which apply to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. One of the most significant, is that your personal information generally cannot be collected, used or disclosed without your consent. It also allows you to find out why your personal information is being collected, how it is being used, where it's being stored and to whom it's disclosed. It requires the use of appropriate safeguards to secure your personal information. It also grants you access to your personal information and provides mechanisms for ensuring compliance.
- Workopolis and the Association do not collect, use or disclose your personal information without your consent except where required or allowed by law.
What Information Is Collected
- Certain information is requested from you if you elect to register as a user of this Job Board (‘Registration Information’). Registration Information includes your full name, email address and postal code.
- If you are a registered user of the Job Board you may elect to post one or more resumés (‘Resumés’) to the Job Board. The extent of the information that is collected when you post a Resumé depends on what you choose to place in your Resumé. At a minimum, if you post a Resumé, you will be required to provide your full name, postal code, phone number and email address. Your Resumé may contain additional information such as your experience, education, skills or any other information about yourself that you decide to provide.
- At times, you may be asked to provide certain general information (‘User Information’) about you to assist Workopolis and the Association in meeting your various needs or to better understand the requirements, profiles and experience of Job Board visitors. This information includes information that is collected if you choose to participate in a survey, if you ask to be kept updated about new developments or services offered by Workopolis or the Association or their affiliates, or if you contact Workopolis or the Association.
- You can visit this Job Board without telling who you are and without providing any information about yourself However, certain anonymous information (‘Anonymous Information’) may be collected automatically as you navigate through the Job Board or use any Workopolis services, including usage details, sites visited prior to visiting the Job Board, IP addresses and information collected through cookies, web beacons and other tracking technologies. Please note that portions of this Job Board may not function if you do not accept cookies.
- With the exception of the Anonymous Information described above, you will always know when Workopolis or the Association are collecting information from you and therefore have the opportunity not to provide the information.
- Some ads appearing on this Job Board may be delivered to you by DoubleClick or some other web advertising company. Information about your visits to this Job Board, such as the number of times you have viewed an ad (but not your name, address or other personal information) is used to serve additional ads to you. For more information about DoubleClick, cookies, and how to ‘opt-out’, please visit http://www.doubleclick.com/privacy/index.aspx
Use of Information
- Registration Information is collected primarily for the purpose of identifying you as a user of this Job Board.
- User Information, which generally includes the Registration Information, is used primarily to update you on the Job Board and by email regarding new Job Board developments and information about services available from the Association or Workopolis or those of their respective affiliates, to answer your questions and to provide you with services that you have requested.
- User Information may also be used to determine appropriate new features, content or services for this Job Board, to provide advertisers and business partners with aggregate but not personally identifiable information about Workopolis and Association customers and their preferences, including statistical information about the source of visitors, sales, traffic patterns and use of services.
- If you are a registered user of this Job Board and have provided Registration Information, Workopolis or the Association may use your Registration Information and User Information to provide tailored job opportunities or other information to you.
- Anonymous Information is used primarily by Workopolis and their business partners to measure the number of visits, average time spent, page views, and other statistics about visitors to this Job Board. Workopolis may also use this data to monitor Job Board performance for systems administration purposes, to make this Job Board and some Workopolis services easier and more convenient to use, for law enforcement purposes, and to share information in aggregate but not personally identifiable form to our advertisers (e.g. how many visitors log in to this Job Board).
- If cookies are enabled for your Internet browser, then they are used to help us measure the number of visits, average time spent, page views, and other statistics relating to your use of this Job Board. If you are performing a search on this Job Board, then a cookie is used to carry the search request data from the request page to the results page. This cookie, by itself, does not tell us your email address or who you are.
- Anonymous Information may be used to serve you with targeted advertising on this Job Board. Targeted advertisements are probably more interesting for you and are more productive for our advertisers.
- Resumés are accessed by employers, recruiters, human resource professionals and other registered users of the Workopolis Resumé database shared with the Association. You will be provided with the choice of either allowing all parties who use the Resumé database service to access your Resumé and to contact you, or of limiting access to those organizations to whom you choose to apply for a job.
- Every effort is made through contractual means and through the use of user IDs and passwords to restrict those who have access to the Resumé database from using Resumés other than for the purpose of fulfilling a job posting. However, Workopolis and the Association cannot guarantee that all employers, recruiters and other persons with access will adhere to the limitations that are imposed on them, or that unauthorized persons will not gain access to the database. If at any time you would like your Resumé removed from the Job Board, you may do so by using the ‘delete resumé’ function located on the Job Board. However, employers, recruiters and others who have subscribed for access to the Resumé database, or for whose job posting you may have applied, may already have retained a copy of your Resumé in their own systems and databases.
- When information is collected from you by Workopolis as a part of an online or email survey, unless you request to receive the results of the survey, no personally identifiable information is requested during such surveys and all collected information is used on an aggregated basis only.
Communication with Workopolis
- If you contact us, Workopolis or the Association may keep a record of the correspondence but Workopolis and the Association do not make any use of the email address or other contact information, other than to respond to the communication.
Improper Use of Personal Information
Retention of Information
- You may choose to delete your Resumé from this Job Board records at any time. We may also delete resumes from the Job Board in accordance with internally developed experience criteria based upon when your Resumé was created, last edited, or last used to apply for a job posting, as well as your use of your account. Certain Registration Information regarding your account will normally be retained such as your name, email address and postal code should you wish to post a Resumé or access services subsequently.
- If you send an email to email@example.com, all of your personal information will be erased upon request, including your Registration Information and account. If personal information is ever to be used to make a decision about you it will be retained long enough to allow you access to the information after the decision has been made.
- All personal information destroyed or erased is done so securely with due regard to the sensitivity of the information.
- Workopolis and the Association do not collect, use or disclose your personal information without your consent except where required or permitted by law.
- Workopolis and the Association may, for example, collect, use or disclose personal information without your knowledge or consent in the case of an emergency where the life, health or security of an individual is threatened.
- Workopolis and the Association may also disclose personal information without knowledge or consent to a lawyer or other advisor representing Workopolis or the Association, to collect a debt, to comply with a subpoena, warrant or other court order or rules, is required for the investigation or enforcement of laws, or as may otherwise be required or authorized by law. Where a request for personal information is made by an organization claiming lawful authority for the request, reasonable steps will be taken to ensure that the requesting party properly identifies its legal authority.
- Your consent will generally be obtained electronically on the Job Board. However, it may also be obtained in writing or verbally. In determining the appropriate form of consent, the sensitivity of and reasonable expectations regarding the personal information will be considered.
- You may withdraw your consent to the continued collection, use or disclosure of your personal information at any time by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, but such a request would be subject to legal or contractual restrictions. Workopolis and the Association would also require reasonable advance notice to effect any requested changes. A request that your Registration Information or certain User Information or Anonymous Information no longer be collected or used, may mean that there will no longer be any practical means to provide you with these services or products. You may no longer be able to log in to the Job Board or may lose certain functionality when visiting the Job Board, including functionality that depends on Anonymous Information such as the placement of cookies.
- If you withdraw your consent to the disclosure of personal information that you have previously authorized for sharing with others, such as your Resumé, you should know that employers, recruiters and others who have subscribed to the Resumé database or for whose job posting you may have applied, may already have retained a copy of your Resumé or such personal information in their own systems and databases.
Disclosure of Information
- Workopolis and the Association will not sell, trade, rent or license personal information that you provide.
Access and Accuracy and Update of Personal Information
- Reasonable steps will be taken to ensure that your personal information is as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is appropriate for its purposes and to minimize the possibility that inappropriate information may be used to make a decision about you.
- You are provided with the means to access, update, edit or delete the Registration Information and certain other personal information you have provided at any time on your own by going to ‘Job Seeker Desktop’ on the Job Board and changing or deleting your Registration Information and other personal information as desired. You should regularly log in to the Job Board and update your personal information and in particular your contact information to ensure its accuracy.
- You can update or delete your Resumé at any time by logging on to the Job Board and making the required changes. However, employers, recruiters and others who subscribe to the Resumé database or for whose job posting you may have applied, may already have retained a copy of your Resumé in their own systems and databases.
- You may similarly deal with errors or omissions relating to your personal information by emailing email@example.com.
- If you decide at any time that you do not want to receive any updates to which you have subscribed, you can log in to the Job Board and change your personal preferences or email a request to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your preference not to receive updates.
- Upon request made in writing, you will be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information, at minimal or no cost to you, in accordance with processes and procedures that have been put in place for such requests. If you are unsure whether there is a record containing your personal information and would like to confirm what personal information is kept, please send an email to email@example.com with your request, identifying all email addresses which you may have given. If there is a cost involved at all, you will be informed at that time.
- All requests for access will be responded to within 30 days or as otherwise required or permitted by law.
- In some circumstances, it may not be possible to provide access to all of the personal information that is held about you. Access may not be provided to information if doing so would likely reveal personal information about a third party, could be expected to threaten the life or security of an individual, reveal confidential commercial information, if the information is protected by a legally recognized privilege, if it was created as part of a settlement or dispute resolution process, or if it was collected in relation to the investigation of a breach of an agreement or a contravention of law. You will be provided reasons if an access request is refused.
- An individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
- Where appropriate, having due regard to the sensitivity of the particular information that is collected, used or disclosed, encryption or authentication tools are used, among other methods, practices and procedures, to protect certain of your personal information irrespective of which format it is stored in. Practices and procedures for safeguarding your information are regularly reviewed.
- E-mails you send are not necessarily secure when they are transmitted. If your communication is sensitive or includes confidential information, such as a credit card number, you may want to provide it by post or via the telephone instead.
- It is important that you keep your User ID and password information secure and that you not share it with anyone, in order to safeguard your personal information on the Job Board.
- There are occasionally fraudulent ‘phishing’ emails targeting individuals who the perpetrators believe might be registered users of this Job Board. Workopolis and the Association never send an email which requests users to visit a Web page or place a call and provide their user ID, password or any personal information. Workopolis and the Association will never ask you to confirm your user ID or password via email. If you ever receive such an email, do not log in from any referred link and do not provide any personal information. You should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and inform us of the email.
- Workopolis and the Association work to protect the security of credit card information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input. Workopolis and the Association do not reveal credit card numbers when confirming an order.
Co-Branded and Other Associated Sites
- Workopolis and the Association may have partnered with reputable third parties to offer customers a variety of services. Many of these services also require registration to make them function properly. You can recognize most of these sites if you see both organizations' names on the Web page and will generally know when you are registering with or providing personal information to a third party. For example, if you see a logo on the page that says ‘Powered by’, you are on a co-hosted site. Although Workopolis and the Association only work with reputable third parties, their third party partners may have different privacy policies and practices. You are encouraged to review these business partners' privacy policies further to understand their procedures for collecting, using and disclosing personal information.
- This Job Board may contain links to other sites, including those of business partners, vendors and advertisers. Neither Workopolis nor the Association are responsible for the content of, or the privacy practices employed by, other sites.
- Please direct any questions about this privacy policies and procedures, any requests for access to records of your personal information and any other privacy related concerns or complaints to email@example.com. All privacy related complaints will be acknowledged, recorded, investigated and responded to in accordance with applicable law.
- You can contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by postal mail at: Privacy, Workopolis 720 King Street West 10th Floor Toronto ON M5V 2T3
- If you contact us by telephone, please note that telephone calls may be recorded for training or quality assurance purposes.