Reporting to the Manager, Plans Review, the Mechanical Plans Examiner is responsible for reviewing plans, specifications, calculations and other design data submitted by design professionals with building permit applications to confirm that such designs conform to the Ontario Building Code and all applicable laws. Systems reviewed include, but are not limited to, mechanical systems of every degree of complexity including fire and life safety systems, plumbing and sewage systems and heating, ventilation and air-conditioned systems.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accurately reviews assigned permit applications in accordance with departmental practices and service levels and ensures that permit documents within the scope of responsibility are in compliance with the Ontario Building Code, referenced standards and any applicable law
- Provide verbal and written interpretation of the Ontario Building Code and referenced standards to the general public, designers, contractors, Architects and Professional Engineers
- Accurately verifies permit fees and construction value multipliers in accordance with the Building By-law and other departmental standards
- Where necessary, considers alternative solution proposals having reasonable regard for the intent of the building code requirement, established policy, standard practices, professional experience and documented peer consensus and where necessary makes recommendations to Manager of Plans review
- Provide expert witness in court proceedings where necessary
- Accompany the building inspector and conduct on-site inspections where necessary
- Aware of and understands new policies, code revisions and legislation
- Other duties as assigned
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied, however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Minimum college diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of five years experience related to the review/inspection and/or design/construction of Part 3 and Part 9 buildings focused on HVAC, plumbing and fire protection systems
- Proficient in computer applications including Microsoft Office Suite, AMANDA and Eplan
- Knowledge of good engineering and construction practices
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office