BCIT’s Facilities and Campus Development department is currently seeking a regular, full-time HVAC Mechanic to join their team. This position carries out planned and emergency maintenance; repair and installation of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems; building automation systems and refrigeration, and compressed air systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responding to trouble calls and taking corrective action; this includes troubleshooting problems on a wide variety of systems. The problems are sometimes difficult to identify, solutions are not standard, and many are emergency calls. Priorities are established by assessing the impact on property and public safety.
- Preparing drawing, sketches, layout diagrams, and estimates for internal projects and work required.
- Adhering to and promoting safety standards required by regulatory bodies consistent with the assigned work.
- Preparing and completing work orders including; operating, inspecting and repairing heating, ventilating, and air conditions systems and gas fired equipment to ensure satisfactory running conditions; lubricating compressors, motors and other moving parts; repairing and maintaining mechanical systems, Building Automation System (BAS) controls, electrical and electronic instruments and motors, testing equipment, refrigerant, condensate, humidity and de-humidity pumps, and evaporative equipment.
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade of this position.
WHAT THIS POSITION HAS TO OFFER:
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a competitive pension plan
- Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development
- Tuition waivers for BCIT courses
- Subsidized parking and fitness facilities
- Wellness and Employee Assistance programs
- A valid Trades Qualification or an Interprovincial Trades Ticket (Journey person status) plus technical education and/or certifications in the relevant building trades industry.
- Two years general trades experience plus up to four years current relevant experience in the building trades industry.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Ability to assess blueprints and make recommendations for specific trade requirements is an asset.
- Must be able to work independently, and have the proven ability to troubleshoot and resolve related issues in conjunction with the assigned level of skill, ability and education.
- Understanding of Mechanical Control Systems and demonstrated ability to troubleshoot DDC systems.
- Building Automation experience with a minimum of four years experience in a commercial/industrial setting.
- Programming experience with DDC controls.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required to maintain top quality customer service standards.
- Willingness to maintain currency in the field and learn on the job is essential.
- Basic computer training and experience is required.
- This position is required to work shifts.
Candidates with the following credentials may also be considered:
- Trade credentials and experience in air conditioning and refrigeration
- Trade credentials and experience in gas, plumbing and hydronic
- Trade credentials and experience in electrical, controls and DDC building automation
*Please note: These are the minimum required qualifications. This position is a dayshift position as defined in Article 14.1 of the Collective Agreement.
START DATE: January 29, 2018
SALARY RANGE: Pay Grade 9; $52,652 with yearly increments to $57,200 per annum.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 18B11
OPENING DATE: January 15, 2018
CLOSING DATE: February 7, 2018
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If selected for an interview, candidates will be required to present original copies of credentials.
To apply, visit us online at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted online.