Manager, Product Engineering, Work Methods & Standards
Canada Post is committed to providing innovative physical and electronic delivery solutions that create value for our customers, employees and all Canadians, and every member of our team plays a key role in making this happen.
This is an exciting opportunity for an Industrial Engineer with proven staff management skills, looking for career advancement. As Manager of Product Engineering, Work Methods and Standards, you will be the corporate authority regarding the design and application of work methods and standards for delivery operations as well as the process owner for all work procedures for delivery agents. This role will involve both the development of procedures, work methods and standards as well as the management of the application of these items in staffing models, productivity measurement systems, product costing tools and continuous improvement projects. In carrying out your work as Manager, you will ensure that all engineering activities related to work standards are done in accordance with accepted professional engineering practice.
As Manager of Product Engineering, Work Methods & Standards, you will:
- Develop corporate policy for all work measurement methodologies and procedures, including base system, computer system, configuration management, sampling techniques, cost/benefit processes, training requirements, documentation, communication and presentation formats, etc.
- Be the corporate authority on all work standards development, establishing and operating a work standards management program that provides an appropriate level of configuration management and documentation, and, as required, approving all work standards developed by regional offices and other head office groups
- Conduct audits in all areas to ensure policies and procedures related to work methods and standards are being followed
- Develop corporate strategy and direction in the area of work study based on the most current industrial engineering theory and best industry practice, establishing strategies and programs necessary to provide an appropriate level of standards coverage to measure direct labour hours, and intervening and establishing alternate processes when coverage targets are not being met
- Establish generic ('core') national work methods in all Delivery Operations areas, taking into consideration safety, quality, and overall corporate requirements when developing work methods
- In conjunction with the Corporation's ergonomics group, provide direction on ergonomic work methods issues to the Corporation's Industrial Engineering personnel
- Represent the Corporation at union meetings, discussions and consultations related to work methods and standards, establish the corporate Industrial Engineering position for arbitrations relating to work methods and standards, and act as the Corporation's 'expert witness' at arbitrations resulting from grievances related to work methods and standards
- Establish, implement and maintain technical training programs related to work methods and standards to ensure the continued development of the Corporation's Industrial Engineering groups
- Represent and promote the technical excellence of the Corporation in the area of Industrial Engineering by speaking at appropriate conferences, and taking leadership positions in professional organizations
- Provide professional industrial engineering expertise and leadership within the Work Methods & Standards group, and manage a staff of qualified industrial engineers tasked with delivering the above-listed activities
- Define the statement of work for external contracted resources and direct their activity to provide specialized technical expertise and additional capacity when required.
You bring a successful track record to the role of Manager, Product Engineering, Work Methods & Standards:
- A bachelor’s degree in Engineering, preferably Industrial Engineering
- At least 3 years’ experience in Work Measurement and in leading people
- At least 1 year of experience working in a manufacturing environment
- Experience working in a unionized environment
- Proven ability in problem analysis and change management
- Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent communication skills
- Skill in planning, influencing and negotiations
- Sound judgement with proven decision-making abilities
- Experience using the predetermined time and motion study
- Operations experience
- Proficiency in English.
FIND OUT MORE AND APPLY TODAY
To apply for this job (Job ID 1219) via the Canada Post Careers website, click on the following URL:
Discover your future. Broad horizons.
There’s much more to a fun and exciting work life at Canada Post than a good job with a great company. We’ll help you achieve your full potential. You’ll find opportunities to develop and expand your career, chances to try out new jobs in different areas of the company, or even a complete change of career path.
Canada Post is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
If you are contacted by Canada Post regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.