Senior Capital Works Engineer
Are you a Professional Engineer conversant with the Environmental Assessment process? Do you have a track record of success in delivering multimillion-dollar projects? If so, your leadership and expertise are in demand by the City of Markham's Engineering Department.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Infrastructure and Capital Works, and drawing on your knowledge of civil engineering, you will see to the coordination and management of various specialized infrastructure and municipal capital works projects and initiatives, including environmental assessments, detailed design and contract administration, ensuring delivery on time and on budget.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (DELIVERABLES)
More specifically, as a Senior Capital Works Engineer, you will:
- Conduct public consultation and information meetings.
- Negotiate claims from contractors and consultants.
- Provide City of Markham input to infrastructure projects undertaken by adjacent municipalities, and regional and provincial government agencies.
- Provide supervision and direction to engineering consultants.
- Review and evaluate consultant proposals and construction contracts.
- Ensure compliance with legislation, regulations, by-laws, standards and specifications, including Environmental Assessment, Occupational Health and Safety, Ontario Water Resources Act, etc.
- Prepare staff award and Council reports.
- Negotiate with agencies, developers and consultants.
- Act as liaison with other City departments, consultants, residents, special interest groups and regulatory agencies.
- Attend public, committee and Council meetings, as required.
- Provide financial administration for all capital projects.
- Conduct technical investigations and studies.
- Prepare tender documents, including engineering specifications and drawings.
- Provide advice and training to other staff.
- Provide customer service to internal and external customers.
Your professional profile as a Senior Capital Works Engineer will include:
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) licensing in the Province of Ontario with a degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized university and at least 5 to 7 years’ directly related experience.
- A strong background in infrastructure design, project management, and negotiation, and an extensive knowledge of the Environmental Assessment process.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office and Project Management applications.
- Professional organizational abilities with excellent written and oral communication and negotiation skills.
- Experience in the maintenance and rehabilitation of closed landfill sites, an asset.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
- Ability to monitor multiple multimillion-dollar projects and ensure strict adherence to budgets.
- A valid Ontario driver’s licence (Class G), with a satisfactory drivers abstract and access to a personal vehicle for business purposes.
- Ability to attend site meetings at various locations throughout Markham and Region during and after regular business hours.
The salary range for this regular, full-time position is $74,697 to $106,342 per annum.
The City of Markham, a municipality with more than 350,000 residents centrally located in the Greater Toronto Area, is home to over 400 corporate head offices and more than 1,100 high-tech and life science companies. Founded in the 1790s, today Markham is Canada’s most diverse community, and enjoys a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Markham has received the Excellence Canada Gold Award for Organizational Quality & Healthy Workplace, and multiple heritage and environmental awards. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices.
For more information on this Senior Capital Works Engineer position, and to apply online by Sunday, October 29, 2017, please visit our website at markham.ca/jobs.
We are committed to inclusive employment practices.