TRIUMF is Canada's national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business. TRIUMF is as diverse in our areas of expertise, people, and cultures, as we are in our career opportunities, and we are constantly seeking dynamic team players who thrive on creativity, excellence in service, and a busy environment.
TRIUMF is currently expanding with the construction of the Advanced Rare IsotopE Laboratory (ARIEL) which will broaden TRIUMF’s (and Canada’s) capabilities to produce and study isotopes for physics and medicine. ARIEL will include a new high power electron linear accelerator as a driver for the production of rare isotopes via photo fission, and a second target for an additional proton beam line.
In support of this project, we are recruiting an early to mid-career level Mechanical Design Engineer who will be responsible for driving the realization of design solutions through all stages, from detailed design, to manufacture and testing. All assemblies are manufactured from contracted and internally fabricated components, and design solutions may involve: precision mechanics, high vacuum, stress and thermal analysis, cryo-engineering, and remote handling and materials compatibility. This position is for a 2 year contract term, and will provide you with an opportunity to:
- Identify, analyze, prototype and recommend design solutions which meet specified requirements
- Establish engineering requirements by creating and developing design concepts and detailing designs
- Develop complete specifications and mitigate risk through use of DFMEA or similar design tools
- Conduct design reviews to determine design maturity
- Provide cost estimates of designs and schedule estimates for assignment completion
- Provide input and coordination for tender, manufacturing, and supply phases
- Provide input to project plans, and coordinate all stages to meet project objectives
- Interact with project team members and periodically present progress at review meetings
If you are enthusiastic about the prospect of being part of this project and are looking to gain unique experience as you further develop your engineering design career, we encourage you to apply. During an interview you will be asked to elaborate to the hiring committee how your skills, training and experience match the following position requirements, and that you have:
- A BSc in mechanical engineering, or engineering physics with mechanical engineering specialty
- A minimum of 5 years engineering experience, preferably in an R&D environment
- Experience with design reviews and communicating risk in a well-documented fashion
- Experience in designing tests to demonstrate concept capability, and the interpretation of failures within the limits of the test
- Proficiency in the use of SolidWorks, and proven technical documentation skills
- Experience in a highly multidisciplinary design environment, and demonstrated teamwork, leadership and interpersonal skills
- Proactive and self-directed with strong time management and prioritization skills, and sound engineering judgement
- High attention to detail and excellent problem solving skills
TRIUMF offers a creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant individuals. We are located in Pacific Spirit Park on the campus of the University of British Columbia in beautiful Vancouver, BC. On-site amenities include a café, showers and secure bicycle storage.
This contract position offers a comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, vacation and an excellent opportunity to enhance your engineering career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
As the successful applicant you will be eligible for registration as a P.Eng in the province of British Columbia and be legally able to work in Canada for the duration of the contract.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
Applications will be accepted until 2017-11-30