As one of the largest automotive suppliers in the world - Magna International is committed to delivering product and process innovations through our world-class manufacturing operations that combine our unique design, engineering and program management expertise. At the heart of our operating structure is a powerful entrepreneurial culture and Fair Enterprise philosophy, which builds ownership and inspires pride in our employees.
The Research Engineer will be responsible to support R&D engineers and researchers with technical evaluation and design support of technologies being considered by Magna. The evaluation will consist of a scientific deep dive, application analysis, manufacturability, market and cost factors associated with the technology. Design support will include machine design, and control hardware and software integration.
The Research Engineer will plan, execute and coordinate R&D programs for/with internal and external R&D departments, (supplier) companies, institutions and academia.
- Evaluation of technologies and product designs with compliance to scientific principles, engineering principles, company standards, customer requirements and related specifications.
- Support the development of innovative components, modules or process machinery from the initial concept phase through the complete development process including design engineering, validation, prototyping, testing, and evaluation of the proposed production capable process and business case.
- Contribute to team effort by providing innovative ideas for products and processes and by sharing new information with other team members.
- Part proposal drawing: starting from rough design concepts up to detail/final drawings, responsible for all drawing information including: tolerance/fits, dimensional specifications and surface finishes.
- Support the ideation process while identifying gaps in the current product or manufacturing technology to guide and provide future R&D efforts.
- Analyze engineering results and propose product changes to determine feasibility, improvement of components and systems and functional/performance specifications.
- Correlate experimental data to simulation data.
- Maintain innovation project schedule by monitoring project progress, co-coordinate activities, calculating time requirements, sequencing project elements and resolving problems.
- Specify requests and coordinate all sub-contracted work (i.e. FEAs, Product Validation and Testing, Prototype parts manufacturing, CAD drawing file conversion) and assures timely completion.
- Support Testing & Validation department by specifying test requirements & ensuring tests are completed to specification.
- Create and execute Test Matrix & P/DFMEA documents - perform analysis of result data to draw conclusions and recommendations.
- Responsible for all relevant drawings and parts list.
- Confer with other project engineers to clarify or resolve problems and develop designs.
- Maintain proper filing systems to ensure all information, (electronic or hard copy), are stored according to departments requirements.
- Provide engineering support to other departments within the company as directed by the department leader.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by reviewing professional publications and establishing personal networks.
- Responsible for keeping the organization abreast of developments in his/her R&D programs.
- Interpret technical specifications from OEMS.
- Prepare project progress reports.
- Use related computer software and equipment to perform technical analysis tasks.
- Continuing education and/or training is critical as technology evolves.
- Ability to travel domestic and international.
- Perform other duties as required.
Knowledge and Education
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering is required.
- Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering is considered an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of related work experience.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong written and verbal communication. Additional language skills desired.
- Machine design / control system experience desired
- Additive Manufacturing process/design experience desired
- Programming / scripting experience desired (Matlab, Python, Lua etc.)
- Knowledge of Design for Manufacturing and Failure Mode Effect Analysis (DFMEA/PFMEA)
- Knowledge of manufacturing process and assembly methods.
- Knowledge of various materials used in automotive products.
- Understanding of design inputs and outputs for CAE, particularly FEA/CFD. Modeling skills desired.
- CAD modeling skills and/or proficiency in model inspecting (CATIA, UG, SolidWorks, etc.)
- Technical ability and creativity to initiate, direct and control specific projects.
- Proficient in Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must have adequate mobility to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Accommodations for disabilities in relations to the job selection process are available upon request.