The Tooling Engineer is responsible for new OEL tooling launch as well as current production support of existing tooling
* Procurement of new dies and fixtures. * Manage changes, repairs and improvements to existing tooling. * Manage Tooling CI's * Manage the quoting, design, and manufacture process of assigned new dies and check fixtures. * Assists in the development of quotations for new work and engineering changes. Including creation of tool processes and blanks for estimating purposes * Provide design support for smaller scale internal engineering changes, tool improvements , and general toolroom design support * Provide daily operational support for any tool related issues and track those repairs or modifications for continuous improvement * Support all trials until the tooling has been approved by production \ tooling teams through AIAG PPAP process. * Conducts\Attend meetings with customer, with respect to design / launch reviews * Report out at all APQP meetings and manufacturing reviews specific to your assigned programs. It is your responsibility to arrange for someone else to attend in your absence. * Maintain complete issues lists for each Die \ fixture, etc., that falls under your responsibility. This list will be reviewed weekly with the Engineering Manager and or Toolroom Manager. * Help develop and maintain our Die Build Standards based on lessons learned and benchmarking. * Responsible for Design approval process to ensure new die designs are optimized for the production floor and conform to P&F Build Standards * Maintains the Tooling Design Database and ensure accuracy of information provided. * Responsible for ensuring that the organization is working with the most up-to-date and pertinent engineering drawings, databases and parts list. * Maintains proper filing systems to ensure all information is properly stored and easily retrieved. * Track and implement cost savings ideas to Tooling, and Press shop that relate to tooling * Actively pursue opportunities and reduce cost and cycle times. * Travel to the tooling suppliers to review / confirm build status during manufacture and attend trials. * Coordination and implementation and follow up of engineering changes. * Follows and enforces the guidelines and rules as defined in the Employee Handbook and Company policies. * Maintain timelines for assigned project. * On time\budget launch of tooling projects. * Reporting to Management any perceived deficiencies in a program launch before failure to achieve a target is realized.
Knowledge and Education
* Engineering Degree/Diploma would be an asset. * Certified Tool & Die Maker License would be an asset * Ability to 3D Design in one of the following software - Catia V5, Unigraphics (NX10), Solid Edge * Thorough knowledge of IATF16949/QS9000, APQP procedures, Quality Engineering, Supplier Management, Blueprint Reading, Advanced Measuring Techniques, Computer Literate, * Knowledge of GD&T, QFD, Design for Manufacturing, VE/VA, DOE, DFMEA/PFMEA, Floor Plans, Process Flow Diagrams, Control Plans, Quoting Procedures / Contract Review. * Working knowledge of AUTOCAD / MS Project / MS Office / Outlook
* 7 years minimum tool design experience in the automotive industry in Blank Transfer and Progressive fed tooling in a Production/Manufacturing environment preferably Tier 1 automotive. * Must have expert understanding of press automation, dies, equipment and metal technology as it relates to the automotive industry. * Able to be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.) * Ability to travel outside of Canada
Skills and Competencies
* Personally responsible; completes work in a timely, consistent manner; works hours necessary to complete assigned work; is regularly present and punctual; arrives prepared for work; is committed to doing the best job possible; keeps commitments. * Plans work and carries out tasks without detailed instructions; makes constructive suggestions; prepares for problems or opportunities in advance; undertakes additional responsibilities; responds to situations as they rise with minimal supervision; creates novel solutions to problems; evaluates new technology as potential solutions to existing problems * Anticipates problems, sees how a problem and its solution will affect other units; gathers information before making decisions; weighs alternatives against objectives and arrives at reasonable decisions; adapts well to changing priorities, deadlines and directions; works to eliminate all processes which do not add value; is willing to take action, even under pressure, criticism or tight deadlines; takes informed risks; recognizes and accurately evaluates the signs of a problem; analyzes current procedures for possible improvements; notifies supervisor of problems in a timely manner. * Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, skills, equipment, procedures and materials. Applies knowledge to identify issues and internal problems; works to develop additional technical knowledge and skills. * Writes and speaks effectively, using conventions proper to the situation; states own opinions clearly and concisely; demonstrates openness and honesty; listens well during meetings and feedback sessions; explains reasoning behind own opinions; asks others for their opinion and feedback; asks questions to ensure understanding; exercises a professional approach with others using all appropriate tools of communication; uses consideration and tact when offering opinions.
* Office and Manufacturing environment * Some exposure to noise.