Reporting to the Vice-Principal Administration and Finance and working closely with the executive leadership team, the Associate Vice-Principal Human Resources (AVP HR) provides leadership and vision and sets the strategic human resources direction for McGill University. The AVP HR oversees the full scope of human resources at McGill, offering guidance on all HR matters that shape the experience of its diverse communities. The AVP HR develops and implements policies, programs, and strategic planning initiatives of key human resource functions in alignment with University’s mission and HR objectives.
Provide leadership to HR Directors and create a vision and strategic direction for a comprehensive range of human resource areas including; Staffing, Labour & Employee Relations, Organizational Development, Total Compensation, Pension & Benefits and Human Resource Systems and Reporting.
- Provide strategic counsel to the Vice-Principal Administration and Finance and other members of the University’s executive team on current and emerging trends in the University’s internal and external environment that may impact HR and Labour Relations.
- Drive and recommend HR strategies, policies and practices that promote the development of competencies, employee engagement and performance in support of the University’s stated academic and HR objectives.
- Develop and maintain collaborative and mutually supportive relations between all human resource services teams and HR Advisors/direct services representatives, clients, and senior leaders within faculties and administrative units.
- Foster positive relationships with union representatives and employee associations to maintain healthy labour relations and a productive work environment, with the goal of avoiding disputes and grievances or facilitating their resolution.
- Increase the effectiveness and efficiency of HR service delivery by leading improvements to operational processes and expanding data collection and dissemination to facilitate effective decision-making.
- Ensure the sound financial management of the HR resources and of employee plans (e.g. Life, Health and Disability Plans, Pension Plans) under the responsibility of HR.
Qualifying Skills and Abilities:
- MBA or Graduate degree in a related field
- Formal human resources designation (CPHR) is considered an asset
- Minimum of 15 years of significant leadership experience and understanding of the broad range of HR functions, ideally in a post-secondary or a similarly large, complex, unionized environment.
- Keen understanding of contemporary HR practices and trends, and experience in the introduction of new programs, systems and processes to support recruitment, engagement, development and performance of top talent.
- Proven creative and strategic advisory skills, political savviness, and able to successfully build cooperative relationships .
- Team-oriented, collegial leader and problem solver whose even-keeled demeanor, strong personal values and exceptional communication skills earn respect and set the tone for those around.
- Exemplary experience in analytical reasoning and capacity to develop recommendations that will inform and enable executive decision-making.
- Demonstrated experience in, or a strong understanding of the complexities of a research-intensive university is an asset.
- Exceptional organizational skills to manage complex, diverse responsibilities and competing priorities in a dynamic work environment.
- Bilingual, English and French, both spoken and written.
The selected candidate will be given a five-year renewable term.
If you wish to apply for this position, please send your CV, along with a cover letter, by February 9, 2018 at email@example.com
McGill University is committed to equity in employment and diversity. It welcomes applications from indigenous peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others who may contribute to further diversification.