Working under minimal supervision, the Underwriting Supervisor – Commercial Lines is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the underwriting team while ensuring profitable risk selection.
- Provide leadership and mentorship through coaching and feedback to communicate expectations for employee performance and facilitate sessions for the sharing of knowledge and best practices.
- Monitor the performance and workload of the team’s portfolio using computer software to ensure company benchmarks are met and lead periodic reviews for quality assurance purposes.
- Ensure adherence to policies, procedures and underwriting guidelines.
- Identify and recommend policy and process changes to support product development, increase efficiency and provide superior service.
- Perform employee performance reviews and interview potential new employees.
- Communicate decisions, and respond to requests in a prompt and professional manner.
- Support the development and implementation of business change for both short and long term direction.
- Act as a subject matter expert for insurance policies, processes, regulations and audits.
- Analyze risk and recommend an informed course of action.
- Consult with Management on underwriting and staffing issues.
- Foster positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including networking at industry events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Five years Property and Casualty industry experience
- Post-secondary education or related business experience.
- Completed a Property and Casualty Industry Designation.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong leadership skills to positively influence team members and provide direction.
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to review information carefully and comprehensively.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving with the ability to select and implement best solutions.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present information in a convincing manner.
- Excellent decision making skills with the ability to provide justification.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong ability to multi-task and monitor progress to meet deadlines.
- Adapts to change and performs effectively under pressure.