A challenging opportunity exists with Financial Services Regulatory Policy - Market Intelligence & Analysis Unit (FSRP-MIAU) of the Licensing and Market Conduct Division at the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO).
FSRP-MIAU is looking for a Market Intelligence Consultant to perform market intelligence research and analysis, including identifying and assessing broad and complex emerging financial services regulatory issues or trends to support evidence-based regulatory solutions and decision-making, management of information and legislation/policy development. Bring your financial services sector expertise to this exciting and challenging role with FSCO.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Market Intelligence Consultant, you will:
• lead/conduct projects for the research, environmental scanning, compilation, and analysis of market intelligence data and information of sectors, companies and intermediaries of the FSCO regulated financial services sectors in Ontario with possible emphasis on the insurance sector;
• act as a subject matter expert on financial services operations and/or issues in Ontario, and provide technical expertise on industry intelligence and risk analysis, with possible emphasis on the insurance sector;
• analyze industry practices, business developments and consumer product developments and new company/industry governance, policy, and business operations with possible emphasis on the insurance sector;
• identify emerging issues/trends in financial services and assess market conduct compliance regulatory risks and sector practices which have potential negative impact on the protection of the public;
• research and analyze market conduct issues, FSCO complaints data, and compliance statistics to identify broad trends which may impact public confidence and prepare comprehensive reports;
• lead/conduct analysis of the impact of new, existing and proposed FSCO legislation, policies, business plans and programs to inform and strengthen the evidence base for FSCO/division regulatory, legislative and policy development initiatives;
• lead/conduct consultations with a network of internal and external stakeholders to conduct environmental scans and engage in discussion on sector trends/issues that impact the effective regulation of the financial services industry in Ontario;
• lead/conduct projects for the design, development, implementation and review of market intelligence research/analytical models, databases and tools, and branch quality assurance and continuous improvement systems, processes and methods.
How do I qualify?
Financial Services Sector Experience and Knowledge:
• you have current, relevant and proven expert knowledge/experience related to business operations, product development, and the distribution of financial products/services in at least one of the financial services sectors regulated by FSCO.
Technical Knowledge in Market Intelligence Research and Risk Analysis:
• you have advanced knowledge and expertise related to the theory, principles, practices and methods of market intelligence gathering, research and analysis in the financial services sectors regulated by FSCO;
• you have knowledge and expertise in market conduct regulation, risk analysis and assessment, and risk-based regulatory techniques within the regulated financial services sectors;
• you demonstrate experience or equivalent in the following areas: market intelligence, competitive intelligence, consulting, strategy, environmental scanning;
• you demonstrate experience related or equivalent to a risk function (i.e. risk management, risk assessment, or control function).
Communication and Consultation Skills:
• you have excellent written communication skills with proven experience in producing effective project presentations, reports, briefing materials, and policy/operational recommendations
• you have excellent oral communication skills with demonstrated experience in providing expert advisory services and briefings to staff, senior management, and the CEO/Superintendent;
• you have excellent relationship management and consultation skills with proven ability to develop/facilitate relationships with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders;
• you have prior experience in at least one of the following areas: policy development, relationship management, customer experience (internal or external), facilitation experience;
• you have change management experience.
Knowledge of Statistics, Research, Quality Assurance, and Policy Development Principles and Methods:
• you have proven superior knowledge of critical thinking, research, information gathering, statistics and analytical techniques and methods;
• you have superior research and investigative skills to assess complaint data and market key performance indicators;
• you have extensive knowledge of quality assurance principles, methods and processes;
• you have knowledge of policy development and assessment methods with experience in identifying/analyzing policy related impacts, issues and opportunities;
• you have experience in data management;
• you have demonstrated experience in at least one of the following areas: regulation, policy analysis or implementation, regulated financial services operations, compliance, risk management, or internal audit.
Project Management, Analytical and Computer Skills:
• you have excellent project management skills to lead and/or conduct multiple market intelligence projects;
• you have in-depth analytical and information-gathering skills to identify and analyze systemic market activity and practices across the regulated sectors and assess their implications/impact for the division, FSCO, sector industries and the public;
• you have advanced computer skills and knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, database management and/or specialized financial and statistical computer software.
Salary Range: $70,538 - $103,944 per year
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 18 months, 5160 Yonge St, Toronto, Toronto Region
- Less qualified applicants may be considered on an underfill basis.
Please apply online, only, by Monday, January 29, 2018, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 116880 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.