Director, Risk Management
Job Number: 31600
Would you describe yourself as someone with a strong understanding of the changing trends in risk management? Are you someone who questions the status quo, while also inspiring a team to new levels of success? If so, the role of Director, Risk Management might be a great fit for your next career move - come to the CIty of Edmonton to do your Life’s Best work!
The Risk Management program at the City of Edmonton is multifaceted and includes the oversight of claims made by and against the City, the oversight of risk transfer mechanisms within the City (i.e. commercial insurance) and the ongoing work devoted to the identification and management of risk facing the various departments and agencies within the Corporation.
As the senior-most expert on Risk Management within the Corporation, the successful candidate will identify and implement Risk Management section objectives and oversee Risk Management Reserve (inclusive of budget preparation and variance reporting). Additionally, they will provide oversight of the City’s financial guarantee tracking program (bonds, insurance certificates and letters of credit) to ensure accurate and transparent reporting.
The Director, Risk Management will also inspire a diverse team of both professional and administrative staff to new levels of success through ongoing performance management, mentorship, coaching, training and development. In addition the Director will support the development of strong career paths and establish, demonstrate and hold others accountable to behave consistent with the values of the department and branch as well as the City’s Cultural Commitments.
The Director, Risk Management will:
- Ensure the processes within the Risk Management section are integrated and the assets of the Corporation are safeguarded
- Provide accountability for the evaluation and direction required with respect to complicated, high exposure claims as they are presented to the Corporation
- Provide oversight of the corporate risk control inspection program whereby City owned facilities are inspected on a periodic basis from a property and liability risk perspective
- Select and manage a commercial insurance broker for the City’s insurance risk transfer program
- Ensure evaluation of claims adhere to quality guidelines on an ongoing basis to evaluate adjuster investigative efforts and reserving accuracy
- Inspire a section and team that operates with a high level of employee engagement
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited University. A Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce, Business, Public Administration, Law or related discipline. A Master's Degree in a related field would also be considered.
- CRM (Canadian Risk Management designation) or CIP ( Chartered Insurance Professional) would be advantageous.
- Additional training in financial management, public administration, government relations, project management and / or change management would be an asset.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in the general insurance industry or with an insurance brokerage, having hands on training in commercial property, commercial automobile, commercial general liability and multi peril coverages is required. Alternatively 10 years experience in a Risk Management role for a large commercial organization or government. Alternatively 10 years experience as a lawyer having experience dealing with claims, insurance and risk management.
- Experience in claims handling, budgeting, physical risk inspections and loss prevention would be an asset.
- Experience with a large corporation or government would be an asset.
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing change, building organizational talent and capacity, and empowering resources to achieve outcomes.
- Experience managing a multi-disciplinary team accountable for large, politically sensitive and complex policy in a fully integrated system would be an asset.
- Establish, demonstrate and hold others accountable to behave consistent with the values of the department and branch as well as the City’s Cultural Commitments.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Hours of Work: 36.90, Monday - Friday
Salary: $130,111 - $162,640 (Annually)
Recruitment Consultant: DR/IS
Classification Title: Director, Risk Management
Posting Date: Jan 19, 2018
Closing Date: Feb 11, 2018 11:59:00 PM (MST)
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Permanent Full-time
Union : Management
Department: Risk Management (Financial and Corporate Services)
Work Location(s): Chancery Hall, 9th Floor, 3 Sir Winston Churchill Square Edmonton T5J 2C3