Senior Risk Management Analyst
Job Classification Title SENIOR RISK MANAGEMENT ANALYST
Requisition # 2296208 X
Division Corporate Finance
Section Insurance & Risk Management
Work Location CITY HALL, 100 QUEEN ST W
Job Stream Accounting/Finance
Job Type Permanent, Full-Time
Salary/Rate $49.73 - $54.50 / Hour
Hours of Work (bi-weekly) 70.00
Shift Information Monday to Friday, 35 Hours per Week
Affiliation L79 Full-time
Number of Positions Open 1
Posting Date 29-Jan-2018
Expiry date 12-Feb-2018
Reporting to the Supervisor, Claims, Insurance & Risk Management, you will apply municipal claims expertise to develop, recommend and implement risk management strategies to minimize loss exposures, conduct legal and adjusting fee audits, handle claim inquiries from adjusters, claimants, City staff and Council Members, and communicate through the development of key performance indicators of claims activity and claims vendor performance standards.
- Designs, recommends and implements the City’s insurance claims administration program, which includes processing new claims, coordinating external contracted insurance adjusters, evaluating, directing and monitoring claim reserving practices, managing litigation claim files as assigned, assigning claims and providing direction to external legal firms and internal litigation solicitors.
- Directs claim payment process, which includes payments to external service providers, journal entries to all City Divisions and Agencies and to third parties and their solicitors.
- Evaluates and enhances business processes through optimization and development of the City’s Risk Management Information System (RMIS), including data quality, production and analysis of advanced reporting (benchmarking, key performance indicators, trending) and problem-solving, to achieve specialized reporting capabilities.
- Designs solutions through research and coordination of industry expertise, develops, manages and implements risk management strategies for corporate policies, practices and programs of insurance, claims management, risk management and loss control, and conveys information through seminars, presentations, written reports, bulletins, briefing notes, Standing Committee reports, etc.
- Supports the City’s annual insurance policy program renewal, including gathering and submitting underwriting information to the City’s insurance broker.
- Conducts analysis, coordinates regular reconciliation and reports on status, recommends appropriate contribution levels to the Insurance Reserve Fund, tracks the accounting entries in the City’s Financial Information System (SAP) and reports on financial impact of all expenditures and claim reserve adjustments.
- Develops, implements and audits expenditure budgets for claim payments, adjusting legal and other fees.
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Develops and implements an insurance cost allocation algorithm to reflect an Agencies, Boards & Commissions (ABC) and Division’s true cost of risk, analyzes insurance claims statistics for City ABCs and Programs, and provides guidance, recommendations and trend analysis to change behaviours to reduce future insurance losses.
- Provides specialized expertise and a range of high quality consulting services in relevant areas to the Insurance & Risk Management core functions to City Agencies, Boards and Commissions and Programs, including insurance markets, insurance claims management, insurance audit functions, property loss prevention, liability loss control, contract wording review (i.e. leasehold insurance obligations, RFPs, full range of construction projects, etc.), surety bonding, risk financing and contractual risk transfer techniques, insurance software applications and evidence of insurance (i.e. certificates).
- Prepares RFPs/RFQs and other formal project documents (e.g. project charters), leads in the evaluation, selection and recommendation of technical solutions and professional services (i.e. Insurance Broker, Adjusting Firm, Legal firms, Risk Management Information System, etc.) and reports to Standing Committee, Bid Committee and Council as required.
- Implements corporate property loss control engineering services to inspect high-value, critical function sites and coordinates recommendations and compliance with the City Program and the engineering service provider.
- Maintains and supports boiler inspection activity to ensure that all provincial inspections and certificates are maintained.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in business, public administration, or other relevant discipline pertinent to the job function, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience in the financial, insurance, risk and/or claims management functions of a public or private sector organization.
- Experience in adjusting and legal services vendor management through contract compliance, performance standard management and fee audit processes.
- Experience in the utilization and development of Information Management Systems for purposes of designing, producing and analyzing data, including business intelligence.
You must also have:
- Strong knowledge of municipal insurance claims.
- Superior analytical, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills and ability to work cooperatively as part of a team.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, client departments, outside agencies and/or politicians and other levels of government.
- Ability to conduct detailed or non-structured research or analysis to complete projects of various terms and complexities.
- Ability to lead and motivate the activities of staff in conjunction with building a consistent team approach to the application of risk management.
- Highly developed report-writing and presentation skills and ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, at all organizational levels.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills and the ability to meet deadlines and assess priorities.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion in dealing with confidential operational matters.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to utilize systems relevant to supporting the Division’s core requirements, such as the Risk Management Information System (RMIS).
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Senior Risk Management Analyst within our Corporate Finance Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2296208 X, by February 12, 2018.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.