Families 1st has been operating specialized, community homes in Ontario supporting individuals with complex special needs who are often dual diagnosed. We create specialized, individual services that support the independence, inclusion, and dignity of the individuals we service and support.
We are seeking caring and dedicated Developmental Support Workers to join our team of professionals providing the highest quality of care. The outline of responsibilities includes:
- Participating in the implementation of behavior support plans including hands-on care and daily living activities.
- Promoting community inclusion, independence and self-determinism for the individuals supported. Support clients to identify, work towards and achieve their goals/personal outcomes.
- Encouraging self-expression of individuals supported utilizing verbal and nonverbal communications.
- Utilizing problem-solving skills to work collaboratively within a team and with families.
- Completing all required electronic documentation and reports, accurately and within set time frames.
- Applying behavior techniques and interventions.
- Making careful and accurate observations of supported individuals, completing written assessments and reports throughout shifts.
- Encouraging and assisting clients to participate in social, educational, community and recreational activities to enhance their experience and quality of life.
- Taking an active role to ensure the home and property remains clean, tidy and safe for our clients.
Families 1st has created rotating and non-rotating shifts designed allow for consistent shifts and some weekends off. Applicants must be physically able to fulfill the job requirements which includes physical interventions or containments as needed. Other qualifications we will look for when reviewing resumes include:
- Completion of a relevant 2-year college program (eg. DSW, SSW, CYW)
- Willingness to complete certification in Safe Management Crisis Intervention (SMG)
- Ability to plan, prioritize, organize and implement daily routines responsibilities
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to use discretion in a fast paced, residential treatment setting
- Sound crisis management skills
- G-Class driver's license and valid insurance
- Valid First Aid Certificate and CPR level C
- Basic computer skills
Applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to submit vulnerable sector police records check, pre-employment medical screening, and a current drivers abstract.
If this profiles suits your interest and abilities, we welcome you to apply with an updated resume which details your education and experience. All resumes will be reviewed, however only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Families 1st is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including job seekers with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your application for employment, please contact us at 1-437-666-1982. Please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting and a description and location of the position for which you are applying.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $27.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
Supplemental pay types:
- Class G Licence (required)
Work Location: In person