Salary range: The salary range for this position is CAD $28.74 - $28.74 / hour Why Fraser Health?:
Are you someone who has a real passion for serving others? Are you a registered Health Care Assistant looking to showcase your knowledge, skills, and abilities in a new and dynamic environment? If you've answered yes then we want you to keep reading.
Fraser Health is responsible for the delivery of hospital and community-based health services to over 1.9 million people in 20 diverse communities from Burnaby to Fraser Canyon on the traditional territories of the Coast Salish and Nlaka’pamux Nations. Our team of 45,000 staff, medical staff and volunteers is dedicated to serving our patients, families and communities to deliver on our vision: Better health, best in health care.
We invite you to apply today and find out why more than 95% of new employees recommend Fraser Health to their friends as an exceptional place to work. A 2022 BC Top Employer, we value diversity in the work force and seek to maintain an environment of Respect, Caring & Trust.
We currently have an exciting job opportunity for a Part Time, Peri-Operative/Health Care Assistant to join our Operator Room department at Surrey Memorial Hospital, located in Surrey, B.C.
Effective October 26th, 2021, all new hires to Fraser Health will need to have full COVID 19 vaccination (have received a full series of a World Health Organization “WHO” approved vaccine against infection by SARS-COV-2, or a combination of approved WHO vaccines). Please note this applies to all postings, and individual medical exemptions must be approved by the Provincial Health Officer.
Take the next step and apply so we can continue the conversation with you.
Come work with dedicated professionals who are enthusiastic and committed to provide quality healthcare to our clients/patients/residents. We invite you to find out why more than 95% of new employees recommend Fraser Health as an excellent place to work!
Connect with us!
Connect with us on our Careers social channels where you’ll learn about exciting opportunities, get career tips from our recruiters, and meet some of your future team members! You can also visit us on Indeed and Glassdoor.
Instagram | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | TikTok
Reporting to the Manager, Clinical Services (OR), and under the direction of a Registered Nurse, works as a member of an integrated team to support nursing / technical staff within the Operating Room/OR environment.
Provides appropriate basic nursing care and support to patients including assisting in preparing patients for surgical procedures, assisting nursing and technical staff by supporting positioning of patients as required; assisting the patient care team with mobilization, lifting and transferring of patients on/off beds, stretchers and wheelchairs utilizing prescribed safe techniques and lifting practices; ensuring overall equipment and supplies for the operating rooms are available; assisting with the changeover of the operating room (s) between operative procedures.
Transports/escorts patients to/from required areas using stretchers and wheelchairs, ensures general equipment and supplies for operating rooms are available, cleans the equipment and supply areas; maintains supplies for the operating room carts and storage areas. Distributes materials, equipment and linen related to the operating rooms as required.
- Assists the patient care team with mobilization of patients, as directed, by lifting and transferring patients on and off beds, stretchers and wheelchairs following prescribed safe techniques and lifting practices; transporting/escorting patients to and from required areas by either walking or wheeling using mechanical aides such as mobilizers, wheelchairs and stretchers. Provides support to patients by supplying blankets or bedpans, when requested.
- Provides assistance to nursing staff, technical staff and/or physician in preparing patients for surgical procedures by such methods as shaving designated areas, holding limbs to support the positioning of patients as directed, moving equipment and accessories, and applying single/double tourniquets as directed.
- Picks up, delivers and/or transports a variety of equipment, supplies and items as assigned. Transports specimens to the laboratory and picks up blood/blood products, drugs, supplies, x-rays, and charts as assigned. Makes up chart packs as requested.
- Sets up and positions a variety of equipment/accessories within the operating room suites such as operating tables, traction and suction equipment, anaesthetic carts, video cameras, warming blankets, and tourniquets by methods such as checking the operating slate for scheduled surgeries, identifying written equipment requirements and determining additional accessories needed, obtaining and moving items from equipment bays to designated areas, putting beds together according to surgeon's requirements, and making equipment adjustments when requested.
- Assists nursing and technical staff in preparing clients for surgical procedures by performing duties such as shaving designated areas, holding limbs to support positioning of client and applying single/double tourniquets as directed.
- Under direct supervision of the surgeon, assists surgeon with cast removal/application by setting up table, preparing plaster cart with necessary equipment and materials, holding limbs for cast application and/or removal.
- Assists in changing over the operating room (s) between operative procedures by performing duties such as returning equipment/accessories to appropriate areas, disposing of used supplies such as needles and intravenous bags, and packaging and taking reusable equipment to Medical Device Reprocessing. Restocks equipment as required in preparation for the next surgical case.
- Cleans anaesthetic supplies using established procedures, as required. Restocks anaesthetic supplies and equipment for various operating rooms. Prepares the case carts with the required supplies and equipment for each procedure and delivers the case cart to the applicable operating room.
- Following manufacturer's established procedures and methods, cleans and decontaminates various equipment, and/or instruments (ie TEE probe) in preparation for sterilization by SPD, as required.
- Checks and monitors equipment and oxygen tanks by checking on/off status of light to ensure the equipment is functioning properly; refers equipment issues to the appropriate personnel, if required.
- Prepares dirty instruments for transport; transports contaminated equipment and instruments to and from the operating room (OR); locates and obtains instruments/supplies as required. Loads and unloads sterile and unsterile supplies from Central Processing lift. Returns supplies to designated areas.
- Maintains solution and supply carts, bedside areas, and storage areas by methods such as checking applicable supply sheets to identify items and quantities needed, stocking carts and storage areas with depleting stock, wiping down carts and shelves with disinfectant and tidying up supply cupboards, carts, shelves, or other areas when required.
- Maintains a safe and organized work environment by performing routine cleaning of work and storage areas, including cleaning bins, trucks, storage drawers, and decontamination area, replacing supplies/equipment to designated places, sweeping, spot washing and wiping up to ensure space is kept clear of debris.
- Monitors inventories by methods such as daily reviewing core supplies to identify depleting stock, notifying appropriate personnel of need to reorder, receiving supplies from Stores, and checking ordered supplies match those received. Replenishes items by unpacking supplies upon receipt and storing in appropriate areas.
- Cleans equipment by methods such as removing disposable liner on suction container, and spot-cleaning equipment using disinfectant solution; notifies appropriate personnel of malfunctioning equipment and/or completes maintenance requisition as directed, and sends equipment to Maintenance/Bio Medical Engineering for repair.
- Carries out responsibilities in accordance with health and safety requirements. Immediately reports unsafe situations by notifying supervisor or other appropriate personnel.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Education and Experience
Grade 10 plus graduation from a recognized Health Care Assistant Program, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to organize work
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.