To assume the primary responsibility and accountability for the delivery and management of quality nursing care to residents in accordance with the written Planetree philosophy.
The House Manager (Manager/Clinical Support Nurse) practices nursing within the scope of nursing practice and as defined in the Nurse’s Act of New Brunswick.
This is a leadership supervisory position, functioning as a key member of the multidisciplinary team providing direction and supervision.
As Leader of the Care Team, the RN is visible to residents, families and others to plan, coordinate, problem solve and provide care. The RN exemplifies the Leader role through skilled communication and effective management of healthcare resources.
As a leader, as new and developing practices and strategies emerge, the RN helps the Care Team navigate change and bring about quality results.
Conduct all actions according to the mission of Loch Lomond Villa, promote its organizational values, and be committed to the Planetree Philosophy of Person-Centered Care and Service.
· Graduation from approved Bachelor of Nursing Program and current active registration with N.A.N.B. or graduate from an approved School of Nursing with Geriatric experience.
· Effective leadership skills, e.g.: interpersonal skills, supervisory skills, conflict resolution, problem solving skills, administrative skills.
· The desire to use and develop and use leadership and teaching skills.
· A flexible and adoptive attitude conducive to the development of staff and residents as a team, and to dealing with families and the public.
· A commitment to continuing education in the field of geriatrics in particular and nursing in general,and be prepared to become involved with community professional groups as much as possible to further increase awareness of the needs of the elderly and chronic illnesses.
· Current training in CPR and Venipuncture.
· Ability to relate to the elderly, and clients who are mentally and/or challenged/impaired.
· Ability to work well with others and function as a team member.
· Good previous work and attendance record.
· Neat and clean in appearance.
· Physically able to perform all assigned duties.
· Must provide a Criminal Record check.
· Must pass pre-employment medical.
REGULAR DUTIES and/or RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Works collaboratively with Nursing Staff, and other team members in maintaining standards for professional nursing practice.
· Provides direction and supervision to other members of the Care Team in the provision of basic and complex nursing care.
· Uses the Case Management Process to develop Resident Care Plans, fostering staff development to provide comprehensive rehabilitative nursing care to all residents. Encourages the involvement of all disciplines, families and residents in the above process.
· Reassesses the outcomes of the care plan to determine the effectiveness and modifies the plan as necessary.
· Co-ordinates the services with all departments to most efficiently and satisfactorily meet the total resident needs; physical, spiritual, emotional, social and provide effective liaison between the individual resident and these services.
· Responsible for ordering, administering and assessing resident’s medication requirements and the recording of same as set out by the Policies & Procedures – re: medication.
· Promotes staff education by identifying areas needing improvement and referral of these to the Director of Care or designate. Involve staff as possible in In-Service program planning.
· Plan and organize staff assignments and delegate tasks.
· Co-ordinate and requisition supplies and equipment on House.
· Participate in the necessary meetings, i.e. Resident Profile.
· Plan regular nursing staff meetings, care team meetings and Annual Resident Care Review meetings. Act as a mentor to staff, residents and/or resident sponsor.
· Mentors and supports the maturation of less experienced RN’s, LPN’s and other care staff enabling a rich and supportive learning environment.
· Responsible for liaising with Extra Mural Program i.e.: rehabilitation referrals/services.
· Must be knowledgeable in Loch Lomond Villa Advance Directives policy and performing palliative care when necessary.
· Co-ordinate interdisciplinary meetings, invite departments and families.
· Provide direct nursing care when necessary.
· Responsible for staff scheduling/replacements as required under established guidelines.
· Documenting using Progress Notes, Assessments, RIM (computer) program and e-Mar.
· Responsible for completion and delivery of regular Performance Reviews of nursing staff under his/her staff supervision.
· Encourage staff growth and development through the evaluation process and provide coaching and constructive feedback, and forward completed forms with his/her recommendations to the Director of Care or designate.
· Consults with Director of Care or designate on specific nursing problems and interpretation of Loch Lomond Villa policies, etc.
· Provide counseling and emotional support to residents and their families.
· Function as an advocate for the resident and the family by supplying and interpreting information supporting decisions and facilitating communication.
· Act as a resource person to other team members and departments.
· Maintain knowledge and review annually Emergency Preparedness Manual. Act as the House contact person during a disaster. Attend regularly schedule fire-in-service sessions.
· Assist the Director of Care or designate in the evaluation of nursing service while introducing new methods, techniques and programs for the improvement of nursing care, to plan for the best utilization of available resources.
· Prepare and oversee arrangements for resident’s transfer and admission to the House.
· Review and update Nursing Policy and Procedure Manuals.
· Supervise Nursing Staff, Students, Volunteers and Grant workers on House.
· Maintain accurate record of treatment and monitor that treatments are completed and charted.
· Utilize the Policy and Procedures Manual as a basis for staff development within Loch Lomond Villa.
· Responsible to maintain all medical records as established in Policies of Loch Lomond Villa: i.e. Care Plans, Progress Notes, Treatment books, Assignment books, MAR/TAR and so forth.
· Conducts Accident/Incident Reporting and investigating of all work-related injuries or potential injuries, including recommending and implementing corrective actions and conduct employee coaching as required.
· Resident rounds as required with the medical staff, including planning and development of medical related responsibilities on each House such as annual physicals, Diet & Drug reviews, etc. Also responsible for delegation of tasks to appropriate staff members to ensure that all medical orders are processed, i.e.: blood work, requisitioning, referrals, etc.
· Responsible for professional communication with other departments at all times.
· Upon completion of training, obtain blood as ordered for lab analysis.
· Assist with orientation of new nursing staff.
· Assist in planning and supervising student experiences.
· Demonstrate creativity and initiative in planning resident care.
· Keep current in advance/knowledge in health care as applicable to long term care.
ASSIGNMENT OF RESPONSIBILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY:
· Set an example by maintaining good work habits and acceptable dress/grooming.
· Accept responsibility for decisions made.
· Initiates and participates in research and educational projects endorsed by Loch Lomond Villa.
· Maintain current registration in CPR and First Aid Training.
· Carries RN cell phone as required.
· Proper regard for confidential information
· Reviews annually the Loch Lomond Villa Policy Manual, Infection Control, , WHMIS and any other manuals.
· Attend Staff meetings and education sessions as required.
· Maintains good public relations with residents, families, co-workers, other departments and the community.
· Ensure Quality Management and Risk Management activities are carried out in the Department. Complete audits as required.
· Participate in and promote the Attendance Management / Accident Injury Prevention / Quality of Services Programs/People Review Process/ Wound care / Medication Reconciliation / Least Restraint and all other Loch Lomond Villa Programs.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $46.37 per hour
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site childcare
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
Applicants must provide proof of receiving a minimum of three (3) doses of COVID-19 vaccine (two regular and one booster dose).
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- Registered Nurse (RN) License for New Brunswick (required)
Work Location: In person