I am a male quadriplegic seeking assistance for afternoon shifts and evening shifts, some of which involve personal care and some of which don’t. Please see the descriptions below and specify in your response the type of shifts you are interested in:
(1) TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON SHIFTS every week. These shifts are each 2.5 hour shifts (2:30 PM-5 PM). These shifts do NOT involve personal care. A typical shift includes meal preparation and assistance with basic activities of daily living, such as laundry, light housekeeping, grocery shopping, filing/scanning, etc. You do not need to know how to cook. You just need to be able to take my direction and apply it (basically act as my arms and legs for simple activities of daily living). You must have either your full G drivers’ license or have had your G2 for at least 1 year, and you must be willing to drive on the highway for short distances (ie. the 401 from Doon to Cambridge or the expressway from the 401 to Waterloo). You would be driving me in my van for errands (groceries, etc.). Wage: $22/hour.
(2) MONDAY EVENING SHIFTS every week / FRIDAY & SATURDAY EVENING SHIFTS every other weekend. These are short 60-minute bed-time assistance shifts involving personal care (transferring from wheelchair to bed using a ceiling lift, positioning in bed etc.). They start at 10:30 PM and end at 11:30 PM. Wage: $25 for the hour.
LOCATION: Frontier Drive (Doon area) -- just off the 401 near Conestoga College. Please apply ONLY if you have your driver's license as described above and a vehicle to drive here. While I appreciate all interest in the position, please DO NOT apply if you would need to walk, bicycle, or take the bus to my home.
This is NOT a cash job. I am a part of the Direct Funding Program, which is a program funded by the Ministry of Health that enables adults with physical disabilities to become employers of their own helpers. So, rather than working for a bureaucratic healthcare provider, you get to work directly for and with the person with the disability (me). See www.dfontario.ca for more info.
WHAT DO I VALUE THE MOST IN AN EMPLOYEE? Reliability, reliability, reliability…and good communication. I MUST be able to count on you showing up for your shifts. If you are the type of person to call in sick often, please understand that same-day call-ins don’t work for me. While I do have a couple other people that also do regular shifts for me, this is also a part-time job for them, and they are likely not available on short notice. So I need to count on you showing up for your shifts, even if you might not be feeling the greatest on a particular day. Days off/vacation requests can always be easily accommodated with advance notice.
The shifts themselves are quite easy. If you enjoy any one of movies, concerts, traveling, sports, or Game of Thrones, we’ll have plenty to chat about. :) If you don't like any of that, then I don't know what to say...but I'm sure we'll still get along! :D So, if you are a dependable person with a positive attitude and are just looking to make some quick, easy money every now and then, PLEASE APPLY!
Due to the typically high volume of responses, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you are reading this ad, this position is still available.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $22.00-$25.00 per hour
- Is the phone number on your resume a textable phone number?
- In 1 or 2 complete sentences, please describe how or why this job is a good fit for you?
- Tell me a joke.
- Please specify EXACTLY which shifts that are described in the ad you are interested in. If you want them all, please list the shifts that are described in the ad so that I know you read the ad.
- Secondary School (required)
- G2 (for min. 1 year) or G driver's licence? (required)
Work Location: In person