About you and the Role:
Are you an experienced and passionate Landscape Construction Lead Hand who values leadership, community, and personal growth? How about thriving in a team-based culture that emphasizes collaboration, communication, and excellence?
If so, we want you to join our dynamic, small but growing landscape construction company as our new Landscape Construction Lead Hand!
As our Landscape Construction Lead Hand, you will have a big impact on the growth and influence of our company. You will work closely with the owner to ensure that our projects are executed to the highest standards, and you will have the opportunity to contribute to our company’s continuous improvement initiatives.
Your leadership and mentorship skills will be key to developing and inspiring our junior landscapers, and your focus on achieving shared goals and exceeding expectations will help us continue building lasting relationships with our clients. You understand how servant leadership and humbly exemplifying ownership of mistakes makes for an attractive leader, one who people will magnetically follow.
You may have been waiting for an opportunity like this! There is not an urgency to fill this role and we will take the necessary time to find the right person for this seat - it is more important for us to ensure it's a right fit for both parties.
At Higher Ground, we specialize in medium to high-end residential projects, with a focus on exceptional service and artisanship, and meeting customer deadlines. We we’ve been using a detailed and collaborative approach serving Langley, Surrey, White Rock, and the Lower Mainland since September 2006. We are excited to be on mission to understand every client’s needs and lifestyles to uniquely create outdoor spaces for them to thrive.
We place a high value on the well-being and sense of satisfaction of our employees and customers. We believe that when we prioritize our people, everything else falls into place. Our team members are not just there as a means to an end; they are an essential part of our company’s success.
Similarly, we go above and beyond to ensure our customers’ satisfaction. We listen to their needs and concerns, provide personalized solutions, and strive to exceed their expectations. We understand that happy customers are the key to our business’s longevity, and we take that responsibility seriously.
Our commitment to our people is what truly sets us apart from the competition. We believe that a business should be more than just a way to make a profit. It should be a force for good, making a positive impact on the lives of everyone it touches, whether its clients, vendors, employees, or neighbours.
Check us out: www.highergroundlandscaping.ca
Day in the life:
Here’s what a typical day as a Landscape Construction Lead Hand could look like:
- Start your day with a team huddle to review the day’s goals, priorities, and safety procedures.
- Participate with your team in setting up the job site, organizing the tools and materials, and preparing for the day’s tasks, based on detailed job-planner document provided for you. Many of our jobs also come with a landscape design drawing.
- Work alongside your team to execute various landscaping tasks, such as grading, pavers, retaining walls, irrigation repairs, lighting, woodwork, and planting, using a variety of tools and techniques.
- Review and approve the work of your team members, and provide feedback, coaching, and recognition as needed.
- Collaborate with other trades, such as masons, electricians, irrigation techs, gas fitters, and plumbers, to ensure that all systems are integrated and functioning properly.
- Communicate regularly with the owner, the clients, and the office staff to provide updates, resolve issues, and ensure satisfaction.
- Wrap up the day with a team debrief, where you reflect on the successes and challenges of the day, share feedback and suggestions, and plan for the next day’s tasks.
- Participate in periodic GSR’s (Goal Set and Review meetings), to ensure clear communication and understanding, make strides towards continuous improvement, and maintain a finger on the pulse of needed maintenance items.
Some of the qualities and qualifications in our ideal candidate:
- At least 1 year of experience in landscape construction, with a strong portfolio of residential projects.
- Comfort with leadership, mentorship, and personal growth, with a track record of developing and inspiring teams.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and problem-solving skills, with a focus on achieving shared goals and exceeding expectations.
- A commitment to safety, quality, and customer service, with a keen eye for detail and a creative approach to challenges.
- A desire to be part of a community of like-minded professionals who value integrity, accountability, trust, and fun.
- An eagerness to learn new skills, share knowledge, and contribute to our company’s culture and vision.
- In your application, please let us know your favourite summer activity. Aside from getting to know you better, this will tell us if you have read this ad carefully!
- You really enjoy helping people, and lifting others up, even if sometimes it’s only for the satisfaction of doing the right thing.
- You're a solution finder. You bring multiple solutions to challenges, and are willing to choose collaboratively.
Benefits we offer:
- Growth Opportunities: We prioritize the growth and development of our team members and provide regular training and career development opportunities. As a Landscape Construction Lead Hand, you will have the chance to learn new skills, mentor and train others, advance systemization initiatives, and advance your career within our company.
- Community: We value teamwork, collaboration, and a positive workplace culture. You will be part of a community of like-minded professionals who support and inspire each other, celebrate successes, and learn from challenges. Company events, Friday afternoon barbeques by the fire pit philosophizing, hikes, river rafting, canoeing, or disc golf to name a few.
- Competitive Compensation and Benefits: We offer competitive compensation packages, bonuses, and medical benefits.
- Vacation time: Working hard, with a service mindset is key to a healthy lifestyle, but we need to take a break every now and then to “sharpen the saw”. We collaborate to find a mutually beneficial time for you to unplug and enjoy time away from the everyday, to spend time doing other things like spending time with loved ones and have an adventure! We are even open to considering time off for volunteer service opportunities, to help those less fortunate or to build into the next generation.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $25.00-$29.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
Supplemental pay types:
- Do you have your own vehicle to get to and from jobsites?
- Skilled Landscape Construction: 1 year (required)
- Driver's Licence (required)
Work Location: In person