The University of Manitoba is a driving force of innovation, discovery and advancement. Our momentum is propelled by our campus community – UM faculty, staff and students whose determination and curiosity shape our world for the better. Our teaching, learning and work environment is uniquely strengthened and enriched by Indigenous perspectives. With two main campuses in Winnipeg, satellite campuses throughout Manitoba, and world-wide research, UM’s impact is global.
Discover outstanding employee benefits, experience world-class facilities and join a dynamic community that values reconciliation, sustainability, diversity, and inclusion. We are one of Manitoba’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. At the University of Manitoba, what inspires you can change everything.
The Faculty of Agriculture & Food Science, Animal Science is looking for an Agricultural Attendant. The position will assist in the daily operation of the Glenlea Research Station Dairy Facility and share responsibility for the health and well-being of the animals. The individual will be required to obtain knowledge of and comply with animal care and workplace safety and be responsible for the cleanliness of the facility. Weekend and shift work is required.
The Agricultural Attendant will also communicate with academic staff for specific activities related to teaching and research and will cooperate, work with and assist technicians, agricultural attendants, graduate students and other research staff as required to obtain information, data, etc. in relation to the herd and research projects. This position will be primarily assigned to the dairy herd but may from time to time assist other livestock facilities to meet business needs.
The qualifications and experience we’re looking for:
- An Agriculture Degree or Diploma from a recognized University or College is required.
- Directly related experience in the care and handling of livestock is preferred.
- Experience in working in a research environment is preferred.
- Experience operating a tractor and loader and other livestock-related motorized equipment is preferred.
- Knowledge of livestock/poultry product collection equipment and procedures is required.
- Familiarity with WHMIS and The University of Manitoba animal care and transportation policies preferred.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must have skills of milking techniques, herd health and artificial insemination and procedures required in a ruminant and swine operations.
- Must have experience with computers and data base systems required for data entry.
- Must have good record keeping skills and good animal husbandry practices.
- Familiarity with specialized livestock production software or similar record system preferred (such as DairyCom305).
- Good verbal and written communication skills to relate effectively with all levels of staff, students and general public is essential.
- Must have an aptitude for operating and handling farm machinery and equipment including milking, egg collection, feeding and cleaning equipment and power tools used within the livestock units.
- Good observation skills and good animal handling skills are required.
- Adequate physical condition required for lifting, carrying and handling heavy objects.
- Must be free of allergies to dander, dust, odours and ammonia.
- Must have a valid Class 5 Manitoba drivers license.
- Must possess a philosophy compatible with animal-based research.
- Satisfactory work record, including satisfactory assistance and punctuality, is required.
Why the University of Manitoba?
Along with being one of Manitoba’s top employers, we are proud to provide a collaborative and enriching work environment. In addition to a strong compensation package with a competitive salary, the University provides an exceptional workplace that includes:
- Comprehensive group benefits and pension plan.
- Competitive vacation time.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- A full spectrum of professional development opportunities.
Closing Date: October 9, 2023
Applications will only be accepted if you apply on UM Careers.
The University of Manitoba is committed to the principles of equity, diversity & inclusion and to promoting opportunities in hiring, promotion and tenure (where applicable) for systemically marginalized groups who have been excluded from full participation at the University and the larger community including Indigenous Peoples, women, racialized persons, persons with disabilities and those who identify as 2SLGBTQIA+ (Two Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, questioning, intersex, asexual and other diverse sexual identities).
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact 204-474-7195. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $39,603.20-$56,409.60 per year
Work Location: In person
Expected start date: 2023-10-16