Position: Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT)
Department: Immunohematology Lab
Position Status: Part-Time
Union: OPSEU 373
Number of Positions: Multiple
HOURS OF WORK:
Please note that the hours of work are approximate and are schedules are subject to change depending on operational needs. Any changes made to the hours of work will be done in accordance with the terms of the Collective Agreement.
WHY WORK FOR US:
Peterborough Regional Health Centre (PRHC) is a state-of-the-art regional hospital with a proud local history extending back over a century. With a capacity of 494 beds, our regional hospital has one of the busiest Emergency Department in Ontario and offers an extensive range of services, including specialized programs in renal, stroke, cardiac, cancer care, and vascular surgery.
We wouldn't be the hospital we are today without the people and nothing is more important to us then our team of dedicated employees. At PRHC, we pride ourselves on creating and maintaining an environment where people are valued, recognized, and treated with respect.
We believe that the best way to support our patients is through our people. We do this by providing our employees with competitive and comprehensive benefit plans, a pension program with matching employer contribution, professional development opportunities, employee and family assistance program, health and wellness programs (gym and yoga memberships, annual wellness fair, travel discounts) and a learning fund for educational development. Exploring new positions, programs, or development initiatives is encouraged as it contributes to your personal and professional growth. PRHC supports and encourages you to pursue whatever path you choose.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Responsible to the Charge Technologist(s) in the Area(s) in which they are working and to the Laboratory Manager(s) for performing a variety of routine tests in the various specialty areas of the Laboratory (e.g. Core Lab, Microbiology, Histology, etc.). When requested, takes charge of other areas during the absence of the regular Senior or Charge Technologists.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
General: General Medical Laboratory Technologist certification by Canadian Society of Laboratory Medical Science (CSMLS) or equivalent.
Holds current Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT) registration in good standing with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO).
Recent Hospital experience preferred.
Core: Recent Hospital Laboratory (Blood Bank, Hematology, Chemistry) experience preferred (within 3 years).
Histology: Previous recent experience in microtomy, embedding and general histology duties preferred (within 3 years).
Microbiology: Recent Microbiology bench experience preferred (within 3 years).
WHO YOU ARE:
- Computer skills are essential - knowledge of EPIC and Microsoft programs such as Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and co-operatively with all levels of staff, patients, physicians, external regulatory bodies and the public.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills are important for interaction with patients and staff.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills are required to multi-task and prioritize workload.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a professional manner under stressful conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to a constantly changing environment and hours of work to meet patient needs.
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions and use good judgement.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated good ability to maintain attendance.
- Possess good concentration skills.
- This position involves sitting or standing for extended periods of times.
- Must have good team work skills and promote a positive attitude within the team.
- Demonstrated ability to keep up to date technically and apply that knowledge to the position.
At PRHC, we take great pride in maintaining an inclusive culture of respect and a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. We do this because we understand that bringing different perspectives and backgrounds to the fulfillment of our mission, vision and values makes us better.
We welcome and encourage applications from members of all groups and backgrounds, especially those applicants who are members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the Ontario Human Rights Code based on race, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nations, Métis or Inuk/Inuit person.
Peterborough Regional Health Centre is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). Should any applicant require accommodation through the recruitment and selection process, please Notify us by indicating you require an accommodation in your application form. A representative from Human Resources will be in touch with you to tailor the recruitment process to meet your accommodation needs.
Thank you for your interest in the opportunity at PRHC. If you are selected to move forward in the recruitment process, you will be contacted by a member of the Talent Acquisition team.
Job Type: Part-time
Part-time hours: 22.5 per week
Salary: $33.32-$44.66 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Peterborough, ON K9J 7C6: reliably commute or be willing to relocate with an employer-provided relocation package (required)
Work Location: In person