Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Financial Analyst (FA) is responsible to oversee and provide support to the mandated agencies of the First Nations of Southern Manitoba Child and Family Services Authority in the areas of Single Envelope Funding (SEF), financial accountability, and reporting. The FA works closely with the Financial Officer (FO) and the CFO and may provide coverage when either of these positions are away from the office. The FA is a member of the Finance and Administration Unit.
Authority Financial Accountability, Reporting & Support
- Participates in developing the Strategic Service Plan by assisting the CFO to prepare the three years of financial information (prior year, current year forecast and following year forecast) related to Single Envelope Funding and expenditures of mandated agencies.
- Documents agency profiles to indicate financial challenges and opportunities and recommends solutions to these issues in the Finance and Administrative work plan.
- Participates in developing the Annual Operating Plan by assisting the CFO to prepare the required financial information related to Mandated Agencies for annual operating and capital budgets and documenting the work plan of the Finance and Administration Unit.
- Participates in developing the Annual Report by preparing financial information concerning agencies such as funding by agency and type of funding, receivables, payables, etc. for the annual audited financial statements for review and approval by the CFO and assisting the CFO in documenting the achievements of the Finance and Administration Unit.
Agency Accountability, Reporting & Support
- Provides first line of contact with Mandated Agencies to address financial accountability, reporting and support issues. The FA will escalate these issues to the CFO to address based on risk, materiality and/or the FA unable to resolve the issue on a timely basis.
- Assists CFO in address SEF issues including determining funding allocations to mandated agencies, Authority specific centralized programming, recommending, and reviewing proposed changes to SEF as part of the New Funding Model Working Group and resolving mandated agency specific issues.
- Attends monthly meetings with CFOs of the mandated agencies during Agency Relations meetings to address financial accountability, reporting and support issues.
- Attends Agency Relations meetings with Executive Directors of the mandated agencies.
- Performs financial reviews of mandated agencies as requested by CFO, including providing management comments and follow up of recommendations. This may involve coordinating with the Qualitative Analysis Unit and Human Resources Unit for such ad hoc reviews as investigating an Ombudsmen’s complaint.
- Coordinates with Family Services, Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC), CFO and/or Qualitative Analysis Unit to perform scheduled and ad hoc financial reviews of mandated agencies, including providing management comments and the follow up of recommendations.
- Prepares monitoring reports documenting compliance of mandated agencies with Service Purchase Agreements and the related financial reporting requirements for review and approval by CFO.
- Assists mandated agencies in developing financial reporting formats to comply with financial reporting requirements of external users such as SFNNC and Family Services and internal users such as mandated agency management and Boards of Directors.
- Analyzes the financial information provided by mandated agencies to identify funding issues such as provincial surpluses/deficits, cash flow issues, proper recording, and presentation of provincial funding by type of revenue and/or expenditure and cost center. The FA makes recommendations to the CFO.
- Attends meetings of the Strategic Service Plan Committee to review and implement reporting requirements for the annual Strategic Service Plans of the mandated agencies.
- Attends meetings of the Tri Partite Committee to Review Agency Strategic Service Plans that consists of representatives of SFNNC, Family Services and (AANDC). The Committee reviews and approves the annual Strategic Service Plans of the mandated agencies as part of the annual funding process.
- Prepares monitoring reports for the ongoing implementation and upgrades of Accpac as the standard financial accounting system for the mandated agencies for review by CFO.
- Assists in resolving any Accpac support issues with third party contractors and the Authority IT Unit and escalates to CFO when required.
- Assists in the assessment of Accpac modules, third party modules and customized modules that integrate to Accpac and provides recommendations to mandated agencies and CFO.
- Develops and implements training plan for Accpac and its related modules in conjunction with the Education and Training Unit and third-party contractors. FA submits recommended changes to CFO for review and approval.
- Reviews maintenance billing reports from mandated agencies.
- Assists in resolving child maintenance billing report issues between the Southern Network and its mandated Agencies. This includes matters relating to processing issues, support issues and approval of rates.
- The FA is responsible for the future development and implementation of Single Envelope Funding Policies and Procedures and the transfer of responsibility for the Child Maintenances function to the SFNNC from the Provincial Family Services Branch. This includes recommending the required finance unit organizational structure and staffing.
- The FA with the approval of the Board of Directors and CEO and works closely with the CFO and the other three Manitoba Authorities to develop and implement the Sharing Circle software.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To successfully perform this job, the individual must be able to perform each key responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance and/or actively enrolled or completion of a professional accounting designation (i.e., Chartered Professional Accountant or Certified Aboriginal Financial Manager). An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A minimum of four years of experience gained through increasingly responsible financial positions.
- Working knowledge of accounting systems and demonstrated computer literacy.
- Well-developed financial analysis capabilities.
- Experience in public accounting and auditing are an asset.
- The ability to read, analyze, and interpret common journals, reports, and legal documents.
- The ability to respond to common enquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- The ability to effectively present information to management, public groups, and/or Boards of Directors.
- The ability to communicate in an Indigenous language is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills plus an ability to work well in a team setting.
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment and handle confidential matters discreetly.
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse work group.
- Must have demonstrated understanding of Indigenous culture and traditions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Monday, October 2nd, 2023, at 4:30 p.m.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and three work related references to:
Southern First Nations Network of Care
202-600 Empress Street, Winnipeg, MB R3G 0L5
Fax: (204) 783-7996 or Email: [email protected]
Preference will be given to qualified First Nation candidates.
Please self-identify as First Nations in your cover letter.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected will be contacted for further consideration.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $62,546.00-$76,560.00 per year
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- finance: 4 years (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-02