Requisition ID: 345274
Position Number: 20061199
Posting End Date: September 27, 2023
Site: Pan Am Clinic
Work Location: Pan Am Clinic
Department / Unit: Pan Am Pain Clinic
Job Stream: Clinical Support
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP
Anticipated Shift: Days;Evenings;Weekends
Daily Hours Worked: 7.75
Annual Base Hours: 2015
Salary: $20.090, $20.694, $21.314, $21.952, $22.612, $23.291, $23.990
Grow your career in the Winnipeg Health Region! Our team provides a spectrum of health care services through an integrated network of sites, services and organizations. We’re united by a shared commitment to excellent and equitable health care.
Reporting to the Manager of Surgery or Ambulatory Care Clinics or designate and working as part of a multidisciplinary team, the incumbent:
- Receives and registers patients to the clinic, ensuring appropriate documentation is completed.
- Transcribes, processes and implements physicians’ orders as required.
- Acts as communication link for the specific area, answering telephone calls, determining urgency, and forwarding calls or taking and relaying messages.
- Obtains, assembles and maintains charts.
- Performs a variety of tasks to ensure patient ready for surgery/procedure (i.e. demographics, paperwork completed, billing as needed).
- Maintains unit supplies and performs other miscellaneous duties as required.
Patient Care/Clinical Practice:
- Promotes and assists in patient care in maintaining activities of daily living (ADL).
- Assists patients to maintain adequate rest and activity.
- Maintains established patient oxygen therapy.
- Assists with constant care and/or close observation to patients as assigned.
- Responds promptly to patient calls, ensuring call bells are within patient reach.
- Transports patients as required.
- Participates in emergency codes as required/directed:
- Responds to code as per unit guidelines. In specific areas, initiates/assists in cardiopulmonary resuscitation procedures for adults.
- Responds to code in designated areas and assists in restraining restless or violent patients under the direct supervision of a registered nurse.
- Responds to code appropriately, maintains fire-fighting knowledge, and assists with emergency procedures during fire codes.
- Responds to the physical and emotional needs of patients.
- Provides relevant patient information to the health care team to assist in care planning.
- Collects specimens as required.
- Previous related work experience preferred.
- Complete high school education, Manitoba standards, required.
- Successful completion of both the Health Care Aide and Unit Clerk programs required.
- Medical terminology required.
- Typing/keyboard skills (30-50 wpm) required.
- Information and/or training will be provided for the following:
- Personal Health Information Act (PHIA), Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (SHMIS), Principles of Routine Practices (Universal Precautions), Accessibility for Manitobans, Violence Prevention, Safe Patient Transfer Refresher Training and Point of Care Risk Assessment.
- Regional, site and unit policies and procedures.
- Must communicate fluently in written and spoken English.
- Must have good interpersonal and organizational skills.
- General skills and ability to perform all tasks and responsibilities relevant to the duties of the position.
- Ability to deal effectively with aggressive or agitated patients or visitors.
- Ability to organize and prioritize assigned workload.
- Ability to recognize and pursue self-development opportunities.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to respond to a variety of simultaneous demands.
- Ability to perform as a team member and seek assistance as necessary.
- Must be able to function effectively in a stressful environment with frequent interruptions.
- Position involves physical activities such as standing, transferring and transporting patients and equipment.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions across the WRHA legal entity that combine to equal more than 1.0 EFT. The WRHA legal entity includes Churchill Health Centre, Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, Pan Am Clinic, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA corporate programs, and WRHA community health services.
Interviewed candidates may be called upon to participate in a skills assessment.
Any application received after the closing time will not be included in the competition.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request during the assessment and selection process.