restore dignity, discover destiny, and realize dreams
FULL TIME, CONTRACT– COOK (Weekend Availability is required)
At the Calgary Dream Centre, we are committed to the core values of mercy, compassion, respect, integrity, and innovation. We strive to develop a workplace culture that practices these values every day as we engage with staff, volunteers, partners, and the individuals in our programs.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, this position is responsible for helping in all duties pertaining to preparing and cooking food dishes. The individual in this role will develop a detailed understanding of the operations of the kitchen and will take the initiative in assisting the team to ensure hygiene and food safety standards are met at all times.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITES:
- Produce high quality dishes that follow the established menu and food safety standards
- Prepare food for service (e.g., chopping vegetables, making salads, preparing soups, etc.)
- Maintain hygiene and food safety standards in all stages of food preparation: Starting with the ingredients and ending with the finished dish
- Clean-up workstations and ensure left over food is contained and sealed and kept properly
- Serve meals in a timely manner while maintaining high food quality
- Assist with catering functions when required
- Answer, report and follow instructions from the Head Chef
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and residents
- Other duties as they arise
- Self-starter with organizational skills, including strong problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow.
- Exceptional communication skills - must be in constant communication with the Chef, as well as with all other kitchen staff, and food providers
- Ability to work with Team Kitchen program clients and all other kitchen helpers and volunteers
- Knowledge in properly managing and maintaining available food products and ability to be creative in utilizing the food donations received
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, take initiative and be self-motivated
- Acute attention to detail and a commitment to excellence and high standards
- 3-5 years’ cooking / restaurant experience
- Passion to pursue further education or red seal certification an asset
- Food Safety Handling Certification required
- Any additional job specific training can be obtained after time of hire
As a condition of employment, all staff are required to produce a clear Criminal Record Background check with Vulnerable Sector search upon hire and every three years thereafter.
WHY JOIN US?
At the Calgary Dream Centre we are committed to the core values of mercy, compassion, respect, integrity, accountability and innovation. We practice these values every day as we engage with people on the streets and in our programs, supporting them as they take steps towards recovery and a new, purposeful life.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only qualified candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to accept telephone inquiries.