Le Centre universitaire de santé McGill (CUSM) est un centre hospitalier universitaire intégré, reconnu à l’échelle internationale pour l’excellence de ses programmes cliniques, de sa recherche et de son enseignement. Le CUSM a pour objectif d’assurer aux patients des soins fondés sur les connaissances les plus avancées dans le domaine de la santé et de contribuer au progrès des connaissances.
RESEARCH INSTITUTE OF THE MUHC
The Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre (RI-MUHC) is a world-renowned biomedical and hospital research centre. Located in Montreal, Quebec, the Institute is the research arm of the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine at McGill University. The RI-MUHC is supported in part by the Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé (FRQS).
Translational research laboratory seeking a lab technician to be part of a team developing tools for the diagnosis and treatment of liver diseases. The lab technician will work under the supervision of the Lab manager/Biobank manager to support Biobanking activities and general laboratory activities. Biobanking responsibilities include sample processing, sample organizing etc. Laboratory responsibilities include ordering of supplies, maintaining the organization of the laboratory, equipment maintenance and ensuring all safety procedures are followed. Support of students and staff with various research projects including support for animal work.
1. Biobanking activities:
2. Laboratory activities:
- Goes to the clinic and OR to obtain blood, processes and freezes back blood according to established SOP’s,
- Goes to the operating room and with support of pathologist obtains tissue for Biobanking. Processes according to established SOP’s,
- Assists in maintaining inventory (including freezers) and data entry,
- Cutting tissue sections (FFPE or Frozen) for sample processing along with performing H&E staining.
- Assists in providing technical support for graduate students/ summer students / undergraduates and or staff,
- Performs a variety of specialized technical tasks according to established methodology such as tissue/cell culture, Westerns, histology, Immunohistochemistry, PCR, RT-PCR, Molecular cloning, DNA/RNA isolation etc.,
- Prepares and sets up materials and equipment,
- Maintains equipment and performs minor repairs and arranges for servicing,
- Demonstrates the operation of apparatus or techniques. Provide training in the operation of equipment or on techniques,
- Maintains inventory,
- Receiving parcels and coordinating shipment (samples, reagents, etc.) to collaborators,
- Ensures the cleanliness and safety of the work area,
- provides support for small work,
- Uses a variety of equipment such as balances, pH meters, pipettors, laminar flow hoods, incubators, autoclaves, microscopes, spectrophotometers, centrifuges, chromatography apparatus, electrophoresis apparatus, electrophysiological recording apparatus, cryostats, microtomes, computers and audio-visual equipment,
- The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Website of the organization
Education / Experience
B. Sc., three (3) years related experience, experience in laboratory techniques.
Temporary, full time
$21.73 to $32.60/hour
To learn more about our benefits, please visit http://rimuhc.ca/en/compensation-and-benefits
THIS IS NOT A HOSPITAL POSITION.
Equal Opportunity Employment Program
The Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity, diversity and inclusion within its community. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates who self-identify as members of racialized groups/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and 2SLGBTQIA+ persons. We also welcome candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may confidentially contact, [email protected]