Do you want to use your construction skills to assist with building affordable homes for local families who need them, while gaining valuable experience in your trade? The Construction Assistant will be responsible for working as part of a team with both skilled and unskilled individuals under the direction of the Site Supervisor to construct affordable housing for Habitat Homeowner families. This is a position may be a fit for those interested in getting into construction, apprentice carpenters, construction labourers, or possibly an experienced Carpenter or Handyman.
Habitat for Humanity is a dynamic, inclusive, family oriented organization committed to serving local families through affordable homeownership. We believe that workplace safety is everyone’s responsibility and a vital way we demonstrate our care for each other. We provide ongoing opportunities for growth while participating in a supportive team environment.
While assisting with construction of housing, the position will involve:
- Working with Staff, Trades, and Volunteers to build Habitat homes
- Assisting with general site supervision
- Assisting with site set up and clean up; ensuring the site is safe and clean at all times
- Complying with all safety regulations and ensuring volunteers do the same
- Represents Habitat on and off the build site. Is an ambassador for the Habitat brand, and advocates for affordable housing in our community.
- An absolute commitment to build site safety and personal responsibility. A positive, safety-conscious attitude.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, leadership potential. Works as a part of a team towards a common goal
- Ability to work with diverse people from varied backgrounds
- Able to perform physical work. Skills in residential construction are an asset.
- Critical Thinker / Problem Solver. Willingness to learn, continued education and training. 3rd/4th year apprentice carpenter or equivalent preferred.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $25.00-$30.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
Flexible Language Requirement:
COVID-19 safety protocols require sanitization, masking, physical distancing, and immunization as appropriate for the work task & situation.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Courtenay, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Skilled Labor: 5 years (preferred)
- Driver's License (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Courtenay, BC