Shawnigan Lake School is a leading independent co-educational boarding school for ages 12-18 on Canada’s beautiful west coast. Our diverse, inter-disciplinary and innovative programming helps shape the next generation of global leaders.
Shawnigan provides academic ambition to develop a culture of curiosity, collaboration, independence and resilience in our students through educators and peers who inspire our students to embrace a love of learning by challenging them to solve problems critically and creatively.
Shawnigan Lake School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff (and volunteers) to share this commitment. Candidates will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with previous employers and a vulnerable sector criminal record check.
Shawnigan Lake School is looking for a diverse, passionate and creative Cook to join our awesome kitchen team! This is a full-time position in a fast-paced, friendly environment where you will work together as a team. Shifts are scheduled on a weekly basis for daytime, evenings, and weekends.
We offer a competitive wage and full-time staff receive a full benefits package, excellent RRSP contributions, and tuition discount for day students. Shawnigan provides its staff with a flexible work environment, and a nurturing, family-friendly workplace.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to both the Director of Food Services and the Food Services Manager, the responsibilities of the Cook include:
- Prepare daily scheduled meals for students, staff, and for special functions and/or groups
- Complete prep work for future scheduled meal services
- Liaise with the Director of Food Services, the Food Services Manager, and with fellow Cooks on food orders and packaging.
- Perform a supervisory role in the kitchen when the Director of Food Services, Food Services Manager and Kitchen Supervisor are absent
- Wait for returns from meal service and help organize the dirty inserts, lids, and trays for the Dishwashers
- Complete general cleanup of kitchen equipment and prep areas
- After current meal service is complete, begin prep work for upcoming meals when time permits
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a high volume hotel banqueting, restaurant, or institutional kitchen with an emphasis on scratch cooking over premade products
- A post-secondary Culinary diploma and/or trade qualification (Red Seal or equivalent) preferred
- FOODSAFE Level 1 and WHMIS certifications considered assets
- Demonstrated ability with multitasking, working well under pressure, and completing meal prep according to a schedule and with prescribed portions
- Knowledgeable and consistent in the use of proper sanitation practices and storage standards for hot and cold foods
- Once trained, able to work independently and to handle all aspects of the role without ongoing direction
- Self-motivated, with the ability to deal with minor problems or variances to routine
- Good oral and written communication skills
- A high level of physical fitness and stamina, with the capability to consistently meet the physical demands of the position
- Able to perform manual tasks through long periods of standing, lifting, bending, twisting, reaching, and grasping
- Capable of lifting pots, pans, dishes, and other items up to 50 lbs.
- A positive attitude and skilled at working in a team
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter expressing your interest to the attention of Dustin Setso, Director of Food Services, via email. Applications may also be mailed or delivered in person to the General Office at:
Attention: Human Resources
Shawnigan Lake School
1975 Renfrew Road
Shawnigan Lake, BC V0R 2W1
Shawnigan Lake School is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
We express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Competition closes when filled.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $21.00-$24.00 per hour
- Company events
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Work Location: In person