Martyrs’ Shrine is a national holy and historic Roman Catholic site that welcomes over 100,000 pilgrims and visitors every year, serving people from across the world from all types of faiths, cultures and beliefs. This special site was once home to the holy Canadian Martyrs – sainted men who were some of the first to step foot in Canada and live among the Indigenous people. The site has been graced by Saint Pope John Paul II and dignitaries from around the world. The Shrine is a unique site that has helped to inspire and influence our nation as we know it today.
The Assistat Line Cook, working closely with the Line-Cook partner, is responsible for taking orders, processing client payment and assisting, as required, with food preparation on the food truck; delivering a 5-Star experience to every guest. Being obsessed with surpassing not only our clients expectations but your own, and live the brand in everything you do, in a manner consistent with the Mission, Vision, and Values of Martyrs’ Shrine.
· Ensure consistency in set menus, quality, portions and presentation – in a timely manner.
· Accommodate changes to menu with seamless coordination and professionalism
· Maintain food sanitation and safety standards at all times.
· Takes food orders and processes payment.
· Assists with daily food preparation.
· Load and unload food product.
· Assist in the operation of commercial cooking equipment.
· Cleaning/sanitize all equipment daily.
Competencies and Qualifications
- Ability to operte commercial food equipment.
- Ability to work in a food-truck environment as well as outdoors in various types of weather.
- Good attention to detail.
- Good time management and multitasking skills together with the ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to carry out responsibilities as assigned by Lead-Line Cook
- Driver’s License
- An understanding of the sacredness of the earth as a divine gift from God
- An awareness of the story of the Canadian Martyrs and the work that takes place at the Martyrs’ Shrine.
- An awareness of the working of a Roman Cahtolic Religious House.
The standard work week is 37.5 hours; working all weekends May to October, including statutory holidays. Required to have flexibility to meet the needs of the organization including last minute requests. Must be willing to work outside and able to fulfill the regular physical requirements of the position.
· Work is in full view of the public, in often amidst large crowds of people.
· Lifting weights up to 50lbs and carrying them up to 50 feet.
· Sitting and standing for long periods of time.
· Requires working both indoors and outdoors, for extended periods of time.
· Requires attention to detail, and focus, under high-stress circumstances with multiple distractions and interruptions.
· Ability to communicate, with clear speech and good hearing, using two-way radios.
· Ability to remain alert to by listening for, and watching for, safety hazards around you and others
As a condition of employment, must complete a criminal background check including vulnerable sector screening. All staff of Martyrs’ Shrine require up-to-date vaccinations for COVID-19 as set by provincial health regulations.
Application Deadline: March 24, 2023
Job Types: Full-time, Seasonal
Contract length: 6 months
Salary: $17.00 per hour
- Discounted or free food
- Store discount
Flexible Language Requirement:
Work Location: In person
Expected start date: 2023-04-26