Position Title: Tundra Airport Restaurant Manager
Reports to: General Manager, Arctic Ventures Marketplace
Location: Iqaluit, Nunavut
This position is a permanent management position that requires relocation to Iqaluit, Nunavut.
The compensation package includes: competitive salary, subsidized housing, relocation assistance, Northern Allowance, annual vacation, travel allowance, an employer-matched pension and a comprehensive group benefits plan.
Iqaluit is the fastest growing community in Nunavut. It is a modern community in the north with government services, restaurants, schools, hotels and hospital.
The Tundra Airport Restaurant is located in the brand new Iqaluit airport and it is a department of Arctic Ventures Marketplace.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Restaurant Manager is responsible for the effective administration of restaurant operations ensuring a high level of customer service to the patrons. Specifically, he/she is responsible for daily financial records and reporting, hiring and training of staff, payroll administration, day-to-day business communication, marketing and promotion, kitchen and food services and other duties as assigned. This position also includes cooking as a backup for the Head Cook.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure optimal customer relations by responding effectively to customer enquiries and requests;
- Conduct day end closing procedures and reconcile reports as necessary. Report all shortages or reconciliation issues with General Manager. Ensure daily deposits are made;
- Process all incoming and outgoing transfers, invoices and charges;
- Order restaurant supplies and maintain adequate inventory levels;
- Hire, train, provide direction, schedule and evaluate staff for food services. Advise the General Manager of areas necessitating discipline;
- Ensure the accurate recording and organization of payroll records including timesheets, schedules and related payroll files and employee records;
- Approve payroll, staff timesheets and submit them for processing;
- Ensure that the restaurant operates in a professional manner and that all regulations and legislated standards are adhered to;
- Coordinate maintenance and repairs to the facility per the General Manager's guidelines;
- Ensure food preparation services to meet or exceed standards;
- Ensure the efficient organization of meal planning. Confirm with the Head Cook what the weekly/monthly menus are and that has been cost out to ensure proper margin is being maintained;
- Ensure that the kitchen and front end meets the highest of standards for cleanliness and organization. Delegate clean-up activities as required;
- Negotiate arrangements with clients for catering (or use of facilities) for banquets or receptions;
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the General Manager.
- Completion of a college or other program related to hospitality or food and beverage service management..
- Minimum of 5 years of management experience in the food service sector, including supervisory experience. Demonstrated knowledge and experience in hotel and food services management.
- Formal training in food services and cooking experience.
- Superior organizational skills.
- Excellent people management skills including the ability to recruit, hire, train, motivate, evaluate, discipline, develop and increase staff performance in a cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Intermediate proficiency in application software – ideally Microsoft Office and POS.
- Certification in Safe Food Handling.
- Certification in Emergency First Aid is an asset.
- Certification in beverage service would be an asset.
- Maintain acceptable criminal reference and credit reference to ensure eligibility for bonding.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- A good understanding of co-operative principles and philosophies.
- The ability to speak and write Inuktitut would be considered a definite asset.
- Proven commitment to personal growth and development.
This is a Management position, extended hours of work, including 10-12 hours per day, 5-6 days per week are not unusual.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Culinary: 3 years (preferred)
- Restaurant Management: 3 years (preferred)
Work Location: In person