Under the direction of the Director of Services and Program Coordinator, the Outreach Worker will utilize a Harm Reduction Approach and work within an interdisciplinary team to provide a broad range of holistic services to support, promote and empower individuals who are homeless, at risk of homelessness, marginalized and living in social isolation within the Community to address barriers to accessing services.
The Outreach Worker will provide Community members with resources, referrals and transitions to other services while continuing to build/consolidate partnerships with a wide variety of stakeholders. This includes providing preventative activities such as harm reduction and educational supports in the Community.
The Outreach Worker will respect the autonomy and confidentiality of Community members and ensure all information is kept secure in accordance with the Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).
The Outreach Worker will have the ability and skills to work with Community members who may be oppositional and/or volatile, while at all times maintaining composure and behave in a professional and dignified manner.
The Outreach Worker will ensure that all activities are undertaken in a manner that is consistent with, and complementary to the Vision Statement, Mission Statement, Policies, Procedures, and the Principles and Values of the Aboriginal Health & Wellness Centre of Winnipeg Inc.
- Working within the Community / Outdoors (Shelters, Encampments etc.)
- Emphasize Culturally sensitive person-centred care
- Approach all situations in a safe, non-judgmental manner that encourages and facilitates empowerment and respect for community members
- Utilization of a “Harm Reduction Approach” to support community members
- Work with community members who may be intoxicated, experiencing significant trauma, mental health, poor hygiene, suicidal or others at risk.
- Monitor, locate, and identify, individuals that need support in accessing services
- Promote health equity and education to support community member’s basic health needs and Covid-19 uptake
- Support clinicians on team to deliver COVID-19 community vaccination support in accordance with Regional Health and Provincial COVID-19 Vaccination protocols, AHWC’s vaccination program standards, policy and procedural operations, and organizational values
- Distributing information on vaccination to community organizations that can reach out to target population
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to work independently and remotely
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team and various community streams
- Knowledge of social issues such as poverty, homelessness, food insecurity, addictions, mental health and other challenges faced by Indigenous populations in Winnipeg
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively deal with situations of conflict and stress
- Ability to adapt to unique preventative approach model which increases access to health and community services, promotes safety and addresses dynamic barriers and complexities faced by community members identified within the underserved populations
- Experience in Microsoft Office Software (Word, Excel, email)
- Certificate in Social Services or an equivalent combination of education and/or work experience deemed acceptable by AHWC
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
- Reliable vehicle for work purposes
- Demonstrated capacity to function effectively in a team environment.
- Successful candidate must provide Criminal Record Check, Child and Adult Abuse Registry Checks as deemed acceptable by AHWC
AHWC is committed to achieving employment equity, therefore encourage applicants to self-declare in cover letter if Indigenous (First Nation, Status and Non-Status, Metis and Inuit).
*We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
*Hours of work: 8:45 AM – 4:30 PM - Monday to Friday
Job Type: Fixed term contract
Salary: $23.60 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
- Do you have a vehicle to use for work & work-related tasks?
- Social Support: 1 year (preferred)
- Driving Licence (required)
Work Location: In person
Expected start date: 2023-10-10