Under the general supervision of the department supervisor and according to specific and detailed procedures, performs accurate and timely interpretive/diagnostic specimen testing and reporting of results. Interacts with clients, colleagues, patients, and other health care professionals, to relay results and respond to routine inquiries. Maintains and monitors testing equipment, work area, and testing supplies. Performs other related duties as necessary. RESPONSIBILITY TO: Department supervisor.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS/EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS/OTHER REQUIREMENTS
1. A Bachelor’s degree with relevant chemical, physical, or biological science as a major subject obtained from a university approved by the Director of Laboratory and Specimen Collection Centre Licensing (MOHLTC) and has been employed for a minimum of one year as a laboratory technologist in a laboratory approved by the Director of Laboratory and Specimen Collection Centre Licensing (MOHLTC).
Recognition as a technologist by a technologist society in Canada, Great Britain, or the United States, whose courses of study are approved by the Director of Laboratory and Specimen Collection Centre Licensing (MOHLTC).
A diploma as a laboratory technologist obtained from an Ontario Community College.
Current registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO) as a practicing MLT.
Must maintain a current professional portfolio as defined by CMLTO (Quality Assurance Program).
At least six months of current laboratory experience in a hospital or clinic laboratory.
Maintain current knowledge of all applicable provincial and federal legislation, CMLTO regulations, consolidated bylaws, code of ethics, standards, and guidelines.
Must provide criminal records check.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with clients, other healthcare professionals, and laboratory personnel as well as to answer routine questions or relay information to appropriate personnel.
2. Ability to maintain and display professional behaviour that is appropriate to each situation.
3. Maintain competence and effectively enhance his or her knowledge, skill, and application of relevant medical laboratory procedures.
4. Physical ability to carry out the responsibilities of the position.
5. Ability to accommodate variable work shift hours.
Job Type: Part-time
Part-time hours: 20 per week
Salary: From $24.19 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
Work Location: In person