- Are you looking for fulfilling work in the health care and social assistance industry where your everyday actions can make a difference?
- Do you share our vision to build a community of inclusion where people with intellectual disabilities are valued?
- Do you enjoy cheering people on and watching them succeed?
- If you answered "YES!" to the above, this role may be of interest to you!
DASCH is a non-profit organization established in 1974 dedicated to exploring and meeting the residential, day program, respite and foster care needs of youth and adults. All our programs are based in Winnipeg. Our residential program consists of over 50 homes, our day services program consists of two day programs and our educational program called DASCHWorks supports people in finding and maintaining meaningful employment. People can participate in personalized social, educational, vocational and recreational services that provide learning opportunities and greater independence. Learn more about our services at dasch.mb.ca.
Come and join us at DASCH where we will provide you with the training, support, and rewarding culture needed to make the most of this opportunity. Currently we are looking for Direct Support Professionals to work permanent Sunday day shifts in homes throughout all neighbourhoods in Winnipeg.
Direct Support Professionals provide care and support to people within their homes and out in the community. With the support from the Location Supervisor, Direct Support Professionals are responsible for providing quality care to the people we support, maintaining a safe and clean home environment, and accurate record keeping. In this role, duties are carried out using a professional team approach that aligns with DASCH’s Vision, Mission, and Values.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Serve as a positive role model for the people we support.
- Recognize and provide physical, emotional, and social support to each person in a respectful and caring manner.
- Provide learning opportunities and support in areas such as: personal hygiene, grocery shopping, housekeeping skills, meal preparation and socialization.
- Advocate on behalf of the people we support, always keeping their best interests in mind.
- Promote independence and encourage decision-making through recognition and respect of the interests and choices of the people we support.
- Transport people we support to and from activities and home in a safe and careful manner.
- Contribute to a warm and comfortable home for the people we support.
- Complete and maintain required documentation, in a well-written, legible manner.
- Maintain effective communication with the Location Supervisor, co-workers, and the people we support.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Canadian Grade 10 education or Level 6 on the Canadian Language Benchmark Assessment.
- Full or Intermediate Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s License is required.
- Smart device with internet access is required for communication.
- Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Certificate in Disability and Community Support is an asset.
- Sound knowledge of intellectual disabilities and experience working in the field is an asset.
Sunday Day Shifts (9am-3pm or 9am-5pm)
- This new pay scale in effect since September, 2023
- Optional RRSP and TFSA plans
- Employer-paid training
- Paid mileage
Please note that employment within DASCH is contingent on the receipt of satisfactory background checks, including Criminal Record Check (CRC) with Vulnerable Sector Search, Adult Abuse Registry Check (AARC) and Child Abuse Registry Check (CARC) as well as employment reference checks. DASCH will accept existing CRC, AARC and CARC if dated within 3 months of your application date. You may apply for your CRC online at https://www.winnipeg.ca/police/services/online-record-checks. Obtaining these documents is not a guarantee of employment.