Not interested in going back to the office? If you’re discovering that you’re more productive at home than in an office, and want to make that arrangement permanent, we may have the position you’re after.
On the other hand, if you’re not looking for a social group and just want to do great work, then you may be exactly what we’re looking for. We don’t care where you work and we won’t be looking over your shoulder micromanaging you. You’ll have minimal meetings disrupting your week, and plenty of time to focus on doing the best job possible. We’re growing quickly, but not so quickly that things are chaotic.
As part of that growth, we’ve got an opening for a Creative Director.
The ideal candidate has a solid foundation in the skills outlined below, is a self-learner with a great work ethic, and has a keen interest in communicating through visual design.
This isn’t a big company with layers of bureaucracy and committees for every decision. It’s also not an agency where you’ll get crushed by client demands and deadlines. Our business is established and stable, but still small enough that we can move quickly. If you fit the profile below, send us your résumé and a link to your portfolio and let’s talk.
About the Position
The Creative Services department provides design services in support of both the Content Services and Marketing departments. Working with the Content Services team, Creative assists in the design and development of our core eLearning content library, creating visuals and interactions, and overseeing layout to ensure a high quality finished product. Working with the Marketing team, Creative provides design work for website, advertising, trade show, social media, and other traditional marketing activities.
The Creative Director is responsible for ensuring that both of those functions run smoothly. As a product-first company, a significant portion of the work is focused on the eLearning content production, making this more of a product design position than a traditional marketing creative position. As such, a background in interactive content production (magazine, interactive web, gaming) would be a strong asset.
- You understand that the key to a successful design is both what and where - sometimes it’s about positioning, sometimes resizing, and sometimes things need to be cut completely.
- You appreciate all aspects of design, from illustration to photo editing to animation to interactivity, and have experience using all of them successfully.
- You pay fanatical attention to detail - you can’t sleep if objects are misaligned (even by 2px), and seeing #00097E where #2F305A was specified makes you physically ill.
- You’re equally fanatical about organization, both inside and outside the design file. You insist on organized layers, labeled artboards, and clear intention from all designers.
- You know that a design is only successful if the audience actually sees it as intended, and that technical limitations need to be baked in from the beginning.
- You recognize the value of collaboration, keenly aware that few ideas start out great.
- Oversee production of all creative deliverables in support of both content development and marketing efforts
- Ensure all department output follows established brand guidelines and meets required technical and design standards
- Participate in early stage design for all eLearning courses and marketing deliverables, helping to identify visual style and required graphics (photos, illustrations, movies, etc.) for each as appropriate
- Review design work produced by assigned designers and provide guidance
- Work with designers and writers to ensure all content follows established company standards and reflects current best practices in visual design and layout (e.g. text density, colour selections, white space, translatability)
- Manage campaign design projects, overseeing requirements definition, brainstorming, ideation, and documentation of complete design
- Work with other departments to ensue creative needs are met
- Oversee and participate in creation of project requirements, design standards and other documentation
- Manage the day to day activities of department
- 10+ years experience in progressive senior creative management, design lead, and/or art direction roles, with at least 3 years in a corporate (non-agency) capacity
- 4+ years experience managing creative teams
- Expert level skills in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, with strong skills (at least) in Premiere, After Effects and XD
- Proven ability to do layout as well as pure design - able to work with text, images, movies, and interactivity all together and keep them in balance
- Strong understanding of the technical requirements and limitations for web-based content delivery
- Demonstrated ability to work creatively within established brand guidelines
- Comfort coaching other designers with varying levels of seniority
- Comfort working as part of a creative team that includes writers, coders, and project management
- Comfort managing a remote team
- Must reside in Canada
- Principals only, no recruiters, please
- This is a remote position, suitable for individuals with disabilities
CarriersEdge welcomes and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds and abilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Work from home
- senior creative: 10 years (preferred)
- supervising a team: 4 years (preferred)
Work Location: Remote