Alobar Downtown is seeking a Day Bartender!
Experience in an elevated or fine dining environment is required, and open availability is heavily appreciated. Formal wine certification such as WSET Level 2+ is a strong asset.
The Alo Food Group creates and operates restaurants of regard in Toronto. Since the opening of Alo -- our fine-dining flagship -- in 2015, we have aimed to make luxuries approachable while elevating time-honoured favourites. We offer our guests a continuing relationship in venues where the deliciousness of the food is met by a passion for hospitality. Along with Alo, our portfolio of restaurants includes Aloette (2017); Alobar Yorkville (2018); Salon (2019), an intimate space for private dining; and Alobar Downtown (2023).
The ideal candidate in this role has unquestionable hospitality, a passion for all things food and beverage, and the ability to focus in a fast paced environment.
Bartenders set the expectation for an experience at Alobar with a drink often being the first thing guests order. They show care and thoughtfulness in every beverage served. Through their work they create an unforgettable dining experience. In addition to crafting drinks, their role is to guide guests through our menu with correct, succinct knowledge of ingredients and wines that are offered. Bartenders need to take ownership of the wood. They must communicate as much as possible with the kitchen and fellow team members in order to give the guest the best possible experience. Bartenders never show signs of distress, they are gracious and genuine at all times.
- Stock the bar with all necessary supplies
- Knowledge of classic cocktail recipes
- Natural ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong knowledge of spirits and all things beverage
- Prepare beverages for guests with integrity and passion, including coffee
- Prepare all ingredients to par levels ahead of service (fresh juices, syrups, batches, etc.)
- Ensure bar stations and fridges are kept clean and organized throughout service
- Assist the Bar Manager with signature cocktail creation and menu testing
- Have first contact with chef and management regarding allergies or specific menu mods
- Ensure guests have drinks, condiments (everything they need) to have a great meal
- Punch everything in on bill and present to their own tables
- Clean and reset guests at the bar between courses
- Close down the bar after all guests leave
- Ensure payments are taken correctly and reports are accurate for management
- Running food
- Pouring wine
- Updating guests notes in the reservations system, noting preferences and meaningful information about new and returning guests
- Adding personal touches to ensure emotional connection with guests (celebrations are noted, guests preferences are remembered, etc.)
- Ensure wine is properly stored after service, bottles are married, and empty bottles removed
- Flexibility to work days, weeknights, weekends, and holidays with varying start times
- The ability to be physically active for most of the shift; standing, reaching, bending, and lifting
Bartenders at Alobar work as a team. Communication between bartenders is integral. An exceptional level of care is taken in cocktail crafting even at the busiest times. Bartenders have an unparalleled passion about all things beverage. Bartenders are expected to uphold the same standard of service and care for their guests as dining room staff.
Job Types: Permanent, Part-time, Full-time
Part-time hours: 8-30 per week
Salary: $15.50 per hour
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
- Have you completed any formal wine education, such as WSET?
- What is your availability/desired hours of work weekly?
- Bartending: 2 years (required)
- Day Shift (required)
- Night Shift (preferred)
Work Location: In person