About Frind Estate Winery
Established in 2017 with the purchase of the historic Bennett property in West Kelowna, Frind Estate Winery blends agriculture with technological opportunity. Markus Frind’s family has a farming history spanning 500 years, both in Germany and northern BC. After the successful sale of plentyoffish.com, Markus is focusing his efforts on pairing technology with agriculture to produce terroir-driven British Columbia wines of exceptional quality.
We are hiring for 2 Laboratory Assistants for harvest season (approximately from September - December 2023).
The Laboratory Assistant is responsible for laboratory-based tasks, which include sampling, testing, measuring, recording and analyzing results in biological, chemical, and life sciences. The Laboratory Technician provides all the required technical support to enable the laboratory to function effectively whilst adhering to correct procedures and health and safety guidelines. The Laboratory Technician carries out fundamental tests as part of the scientific team. The work plays an important role in the foundation stages of research and development (R&D) and in scientific analyses and investigation.
- Perform laboratory tests in order to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations.
- Record and report data from all analyses and tests in the prescribed time and form and maintain statistical records in accordance with laboratory procedures.
- Carry out routine tasks accurately and following strict methodologies to carry out analyses.
- Prepare samples.
- Construct, maintain and operate standard laboratory equipment, for example centrifuges, titrators, pipetting machines and pH meters.
- Record results to present to senior colleagues.
- Use computers and perform mathematical calculations.
- Keep up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability.
- Demonstrate practical procedures.
- Conduct searches on identified topics relevant to the research.
- Follow and ensure strict safety procedures and safety checks.
- Make detailed observations; analyze data, and interpret results.
- Write reports, summaries, and protocols regarding experiments.
- Perform limited troubleshooting and calibration of instruments.
- Log in all samples from field or special request for routine, non-routine and other test.
- Organize all lab reagents and update inventory spread sheets.
- Make call for information from field and other company. Communicate with third party calibration.
- Review incomplete samples.
- Complete other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's degree in a related scientific field is preferred.
- Must have a strong understanding of WHMIS and MSDS.
- Must be knowledgeable in health, safety and environmental standards.
- Knowledge of laboratory techniques, terminology, equipment and materials.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of chemical, and biological and testing and analyses including the preparation of materials, equipment and samples.
- Knowledge of arithmetic for use in computation of test results and analyses.
- Knowledge of data processing.
- Ability to use and maintain laboratory equipment for standard chemical, biological and physical testing.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instruction.
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good eyesight and manual dexterity skills in laboratory manipulative techniques.
- Demonstrate applicable ethics and due diligence.
- Manage time effectively.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentiality, and accountability.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Ability to respond appropriately in pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanor.
- Interacts with chemicals, elements and potential hazardous organisms.
- Manual dexterity required to use laboratory equipment, desktop computer and peripherals.
- Intermittent physical activity including standing, sitting, climbing and lifting.
- Manual dexterity required.
- Overtime as required.
*Only candidates with legal working rights in Canada will be considered.
Job Types: Contract, Temporary, Full-time
Contract length: 3 months
- Casual dress
- Discounted or free food
- On-site parking
- Store discount
Work Location: In person