The University of Manitoba is a driving force of innovation, discovery and advancement. Our momentum is propelled by our campus community – UM faculty, staff and students whose determination and curiosity shape our world for the better. Our teaching, learning and work environment is uniquely strengthened and enriched by Indigenous perspectives. With two main campuses in Winnipeg, satellite campuses throughout Manitoba, and world-wide research, UM’s impact is global.
Discover outstanding employee benefits, experience world-class facilities and join a dynamic community that values reconciliation, sustainability, diversity, and inclusion. We are one of Manitoba’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. At the University of Manitoba, what inspires you can change everything.
The Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences is looking for a Research Technician. This position is responsible for executing field research trials (including experiment establishment, maintenance, data collection, and preliminary data analysis), maintain field and laboratory equipment, supervise summer students, research technicians, and assist graduate students in their research projects.
The qualifications and experience we’re looking for:
- Masters degree in a related study area.
- or -
- Bachelors degree or completion of a Community College course in a related discipline with three years = directly-related experience.
- Valid driver's license required. Class 3 driver's license required.
- Experience operating small plot and farm scale equipment.
- Experience applying pesticides under field research conditions.
- Experience using and maintaining field and lab research equipment.
- Experience conducting on-farm or interdisciplinary research
- Experience coordinating a summer field research program.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Current working knowledge of common agricultural crop production practices used in Western Canada required.
- Agronomic research techniques required.
- Experimental record keeping, data compilation, summary statistical analysis skills required.
- Proficient in MS Office and other software required.
- Multi-tasking and time management skills required.
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal) required.
- Experience with GIS software would be an asset.
- Exercise sound judgement when solve field research problems required.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team required.
- Ability to train and supervise summer students and other staff required.
- Physically capable of performing the duties as assigned, which may include mobility (walking, kneeling, bending), moderate to heavy lifting (50 lb seed or fertilizer bags), and working outside in hot/wet/cold conditions during the field season.
- Satisfactory work record, including satisfactory attendance and punctuality, is required.
Why the University of Manitoba?
Along with being one of Manitoba’s top employers, we are proud to provide a collaborative and enriching work environment. In addition to a strong compensation package with a competitive salary, the University provides an exceptional workplace that includes:
- Comprehensive group benefits and pension plan.
- Competitive vacation time.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- A full spectrum of professional development opportunities.
Closing Date: October 20, 2023
Applications will only be accepted if you apply on UM Careers.
The University of Manitoba is committed to the principles of equity, diversity & inclusion and to promoting opportunities in hiring, promotion and tenure (where applicable) for systemically marginalized groups who have been excluded from full participation at the University and the larger community including Indigenous Peoples, women, racialized persons, persons with disabilities and those who identify as 2SLGBTQIA+ (Two Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, questioning, intersex, asexual and other diverse sexual identities).
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact 204-474-7195. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $46,173.40-$66,284.40 per year
Work Location: In person
Expected start date: 2023-11-13