Who We Are
The Elliott Community is a charitable, not-for-profit senior’s residence offering a continuum of residential and nursing services of the highest standards. This historical and unique facility in Guelph, proudly offers a variety of lifestyle choices; independent living in life lease suites, supported living in retirement suites, enhanced support in retirement plus and full nursing care in our long-term care residence and respite stay.
Unequivocally, it is the team at The Elliott Community who have made our name synonymous with quality elder care. If you thrive in a values based, performance-driven environment, enjoy a challenge and are passionate about exceptional service, we want to hear from you.
The Elliott Community currently has an opening for a Personal Support Worker (PSW) to join in our Long Term Care (LTC) home area. As a member of the nursing department and interdisciplinary team, the PSW is responsible for providing direct personal care. This care focuses on meeting the physical, psychosocial, emotional and spiritual needs of the resident.
- Is committed to providing care based on the philosophy of the facility.
- Assists residents with personal hygiene and grooming and follows established care plans and procedures, reporting changes to the RPN/RN.
- Ensures nutritional intake is adequate by assisting resident to consume meals and giving supplements.
- Encourages residents to participate in recreational programs and promotes independence based on their own capabilities.
- Contributes to the development of a healthy working atmosphere by giving mutual respect, supports colleagues, using open communication and understanding.
- Provides physical comfort and supportive care to residents, always treating each with dignity and respect.
- Answers call bells promptly.
- Is attentive to the requests and concerns of family, and will redirect where appropriate.
- Must have a PSW Certificate from a recognized college or enrollment in a Nursing program from an accredited college/ university.
- Gentle Persuasive Approaches (GPA) to Dementia Care Certificate preferred.
- Ability to communicate well with seniors and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with others.
- Physically able to lift, bend, stoop, transfer a person, push a wheelchair/cart with supplies. Have good physical and mental stability.
- Must be able to work effectively with cognitively impaired residents, particularly those who may be physically challenging.
- Vulnerable Sector Search Criminal Record check.
- Must maintain an up to date immunization record including COVID-19 vaccination series, annual influenza and TB screening.
While we have an immediate need, the successful candidate must demonstrate a commitment to The Elliott Community's mission and values. We offer a flexible work environment, competitive compensation package and participation in the OMERS pension plan and extended health and dental benefits for qualifying staff. Please note, the wage listed is inclusive of the $3 per hour LTC PSW Wage Enhancement from the ministry.
In support of persons with disabilities, The Elliott Community asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards ). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources.
As a health care institution, our highest priority is the safety of residents, staff and families. As a result, we are adopting all prevention measures to ensure the safety of our residents, staff and families. Vaccines are a proven, safe and powerful weapon in our battle against COVID-19. Now that vaccines are widely available and recognizing that our staff are already vaccinated against influenza and Covid-19, vaccination will be an enduring condition of employment for all new hires, except when impossible due to legitimate, established exceptions. Covid-19 vaccination status must be consistent with the prevailing definition provided by The Ministry of Health and LTC: a person who has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccine doses, including any booster dose(s) when eligible.
Job Types: Casual, Permanent, Part-time
Salary: $25.94 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Morning shift
- Night shift
- Weekends as needed
Daily COVID screening, mandatory masks, enhanced infection control practices.
Work Location: In person