Sofina Foods is one of Canada’s leading manufacturers of primary and further processed protein products for retail and foodservice customers as well as international markets. We manufacture pork, beef, turkey, chicken and fish products in Canada and Europe. Our family of brands include: Cuddy, Lilydale, Janes, Mastro, San Daniele, Fletcher’s, Vienna, Riserva and Zamzam in Canada; and Youngs, Greenland and Karro’s in UK. We are also the exclusive Canadian distributor of Italy’s finest Rio Mare, Lavazza products and Kicking Horse Coffee in Canada.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Human Resources, the Human Resources Generalist plays a critical role on the plant team by ensuring HR programs and initiatives meet employee and business objectives for a diverse group including salary and unionized hourly staff. The position provides guidance to employees and responds to a variety of Human Resources related questions, including administration and interpretation of the CBA.
- Accountable for assigned internal client groups, comprised of hourly and Operations leadership.
- Sound understanding of the Collective Agreement, including the interpretation and application of the grievance process, ensuring that employee-related issues are properly addressed and resolved.
- Leads investigations and makes recommendations in the resolution of sensitive issues, ensuring discretion, continuity and consistency with practices, policies, the terms of the Collective Agreement and Sofina objectives.
- Acts as an advisor to operational leaders on the administration of the collective agreement.
- Administers the Attendance Management Programs to ensure consistent application and timely response.
- Supports H&S and operational leaders on non-occupational, disability or medical leaves including regular follow-up to the employee and providing updates to supervisors of return to work.
- Coach operational leaders and provide recommendations or resolutions to employee concerns.
- Maintains a presence on the plant floor to engage and connect with employees across various shifts.
- Organize training sessions and employee engagement activities as required.
- Act as liaison for employee benefits, payroll inquiries and preparation of job reference letters, ensuring timely follow up.
- Assists with HR audits, employee record keeping and timely reporting within the HRIS systems.
- Identify, prepare and deliver training/communications to supervisors and management on various topics.
- Supports the Sr. Manager, Human Resources with reporting on location based KPIs.
- Provide support to the plant recruitment, retention and engagement activities, both hourly and salary.
- Provide administrative support as required.
- Diploma or Certificate in Human Resource Management or equivalent experience in Human Resources, holding a CHRP designation a strong asset
- 3–5+ years’ experience in HR generalist role. Experience in a manufacturing or unionized environment a plus.
- Excellent communication, conflict resolution and analytical skills.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and Kronos.
- Strong organizational skills – ability to prioritize, plan and execute;
- Entrepreneurial spirit – ability to take ownership of assigned client groups.
- Self-motivated, strong hands-on work ethic.
- This position is ON SITE and involves occasional afternoon shift work.
- We are a pork processing facility - requires comfort with presence on plant floor to interact with Operations client groups
Sofina Foods Inc. is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). Applicants are asked to make their needs/requirements, for the purpose of accommodation under AODA, known to Human Resources when they are contacted for an interview.