Requisition ID: 336363
Competition #: SS-23-538
Position Control #: 816-715353025-HCA-09
Posting End Date: Open Until Filled
Site: Southern Health-Santé Sud
Work Location: Home Care Services - Steinbach
Department / Unit: Home Care Services
Job Stream: Clinical Support
Anticipated Start Date: To Be Determined - April 17, 2024
Reason for Term: Mat Leave
Anticipated Shift: Days/Evenings/Weekends
Daily Hours Worked: 5 hour shifts
Wage Rate: As per CUPE Community Collective Agreement
Maternity/parental leave of absence term may expire sooner than indicated, subject to minimum notice of two (2) weeks or one pay period whichever is longer
Under the direction of the Home Care Resource Coordinator, the Home Care Attendant (HCA) functions as a member of the Home Care team and is responsible for the provision of personal care and home support services to an individual or group of home care clients as assigned. As identified by an established plan of care, the HCA provides paraprofessional services to assist frail, physically disabled, and/or mentally challenged clients of all ages to remain in their own homes as long as safely possible.
The incumbent will exercise the appropriate level of initiative and independent judgment in determining work priorities, work methods to be employed and action to be taken on unusual matters. The position functions in a manner that is consistent with
the mission, vision and values; and the policies of Southern Health-Santé Sud.
- Proficiency of both official languages is essential (English/French)
- Grade 12 education required
- Home Care Attendant Certificate or Health Care Aide Certificate with community component from a recognized post-secondary institute
- Knowledge of Safe Food Handling
- Previous experience working with the elderly or disabled in a community setting is preferred
- Previous experience working in a home care program is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member
- Demonstrated ability to apply critical thinking skills
- Given the cultural diversity of our region, the ability to respect and promote a culturally diverse population is required
- Demonstrated ability to respect confidentiality including paper, electronic formats and other mediums
- Demonstrated ability to meet the physical and mental demands of the job
- Good work and attendance record
- Completes and maintains a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Vulnerable Sector Search, Adult Abuse Registry Check and Child Abuse Registry Check, as appropriate.
- All Health Care workers are required to be immunized as a condition of employment in accordance with Southern Health-Santé Sud policy.
- Requires a valid Class 5 driver’s license, an all-purpose insured vehicle and liability insurance of at least $1,000,000.00
We have a unique ability to work together to make health care better. If you want to make a difference and contribute to supporting the health of your family, friends and neighbours, please apply today.
Interested candidates should select the "Apply" icon below to upload their cover letter, resume and copy of licenses/certification.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions in Shared Health that combine to equal more than 1.0 FTE.
Shared Health values and supports employment equity and workplace diversity and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request during the assessment and selection process.