CASHIER JOB DESCRIPTION
Community Natural Foods cashiers must possess outgoing, motivated, and positive personalities. Primary responsibilities include greeting customers, ringing through purchases, handling money and processing card payments, answering questions about the company, our products and initiatives and maintaining clean work areas.
The Cashier is responsible for customer service with all customers while processing till transactions. The role is the last touch point for most customers in our store and as such is a crucial interaction to complete our customer interactions with excellence. The role is responsible for the consistent application of all till processes and for following outlined cash procedures.
- Greet customers entering the stores and at the tills. Engage with customers in accordance with their interest, being attentive to their needs
- Communicate with customers and members of the public with high level of professionalism and with a positive and friendly nature
- Answer customer questions, and when answer is unknown work with customer to find a solution/answer
- Utilize best practices when handling cash and other payment methods to ensure positive overall interaction
- Manage and resolve customer complaints effectively and understand when a situation requires a manager's intervention.
- Communicate sales and promotions, make sales referrals, cross‐sell and introduce new products and support in‐ store events o Other duties as required
- Facilitate final purchase of goods from store by efficiently and quickly ringing through customer transactions
- Ensure pricing is correct
- Problem solving and reporting any issues with tools provided for role including till and pin pad
- Carefully bag, box, or wrap customer purchases
- Redeem coupons
- Receive payment by cash, debit cards, credit cards and gift certificates
- Issue receipts, bag credits, or change due to customers
- Maintain clean and orderly till areas and general front end upkeep including basket and cart collection
- Adhere to a strict set of policies and procedures as outline by Community Natural Foods such as customer service, transactions, discounts and cash handling o Other duties as required
Reports to the Cash and Events Manager; daily supervision provided by Cash Supervisors; work is reviewed in terms of achievement of daily goals and application of knowledge, skills, abilities and attitude
- High School diploma preferred
- 1‐2 yeas of retail experience
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Proven numerical literacy
- High EQ – developed ability to relate with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Friendly, positive attitude and high energy
- Perceptive, attentive and detail oriented
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
- Technical aptitude – developed competency with POS, computers
- Quantitative skills required for cash handling
- Trouble shooting and problem solving mindset
- Exceptional conflict resolution ‐ willingness to directly address concerns when they arise
- Self motivated
- Excellent organizational skills
- Time management skills
- High personal ethics and integrity
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Product knowledge and sales skills
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Bend and stoop to grasp objects and climb ladders. Bend and twist neck and waist, reach above and below shoulders and squat.
- Bend and lift loads, not to exceed 50 pounds. Push and pull carts weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Repetitive use of hands for grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation.
- Environmental exposure to extreme temperatures (coolers, ovens, freezer, outdoors, etc.)
- Requirement to clearly see small detail on screen, paper and labels
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $15.00-$18.00 per hour
- Dental care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Store discount
- Vision care
- Afternoon shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Morning shift
Work Location: In person