At Parkland, our purpose is to Power Journeys & Energize Communities. We are a prominent independent supplier and marketer of fuel and petroleum products and a leading convenience store operator. As One Parkland team, we proudly serve diverse retail, commercial and wholesale customers across Canada, the United States, the Caribbean region, and South America. We power a growing family of locally known brands including Ultramar, Bluewave Energy, Pipeline, Chevron, Columbia Fuels, Island Petroleum, and Sparlings Propane.
We recognize that diversity gives us an edge and inclusion propels us forward. We’re also a passionate team of down-to-earth achievers, committed to getting our customers, colleagues and communities further, faster. As such, we welcome talented individuals that have a variety of perspectives, backgrounds, and industry experience who will contribute to the success of our One Parkland team.
Job Title: Terminal Operator (Unionized)
Reports to: Operations Supervisor Hamilton
Location: Hamilton, Terminal
Salary: between $26.81/h CAD and $39.19/h CAD
This position ensures that all products are loaded or unloaded safely and efficiently and performs work as instructed by supervisors functioning as a team member with other operations personnel in accordance with the company procedures and policies.
Essential Job Functions:
- Abides by all safety procedures and practices applicable to location and position; participates in appropriate safety training; demonstrates commitment to and support of SH&E (Safety, Health and Environment) principles and values; champions safety as necessary
- Opens and closes valves by hand or by use of computer for valves with remote operation
- Ensures correct tank lineup for various receipt and delivery operations; performs tank gauging and temperature verification; completes associated paperwork
- Reviews operation orders for errors; verifies proper backup, tank selection and suitability of equipment or material
- Loads and unloads railroad tank cars, trucks and ships and barges as assigned
- Loosens or tightens bolts manually using large wrenches; walks on docks, hooks up and releases hoses; positions mechanical load arm or connects product hoses; reviews and completes documentation; monitors gauges; adjusts flow rates; follows written or oral instructions
- Ascends and descends ladders and stairs to manually gauge tanks
- Reviews operations procedures for new and existing systems; participates in start-ups; makes recommendations for the system that enhance performance and safety
- Trouble-shoots pumps, meters, heating systems, nitrogen operations
- Ensures optimal equipment performance; reports deficiencies to supervisor
- Responds rapidly and appropriately to emergencies following safety guidelines and procedures
- Cleans truck stations by scraping and sweeping; cleans and realigns pipe lines; performs miscellaneous cleaning activities as assigned
- Participates in and completes all assigned training programs
- Understands and ensures all work performed meets provincial and local requirements as well as Company safety, health, and environmental standards
- Trains regularly provincial and local environmental regulations, requirements and guidelines related to his/her function
- When is required assumes the delegated responsibilities of the supervisor in his absence with the authorization of the Operations Head
- Conducts hands-on training for operators as assigned; advises supervisor of trainee progress; completes training documentation
- Performs other duties assigned by the Supervisor or Operations Head that fall within the generally expected scope of this position
- Experience in terminal operations preferred but not required.
- Minimum of one (1) year of work experience in an industrial environment
- Ability to follow written instructions and job guidelines
- Basic computer knowledge including database systems and other programs and applications used at the location
- Ability to multi-task, and follow up on assignments
- Ability to work rotating shifts when required (Day Night Weekend)
- High school Diploma in an appropriate field
- College courses in a program related to our industry; i.e. mechanics, industrial, chemicals, etc.
- Safety orientation
- Client orientation
- Quality Orientation
- Orientation Result
- eagerness to learn
- Communication and listening
- Planning and organization
- Coaching & Feedback
- Lead the performance
- Team spirit
- Participation in Parkland Pledge, an employee-driven charitable giving program.
- Our Performance-based Annual Incentive Plan, an annual bonus awarding your performance.
- A share in our success through the Employee Share Purchase Plan and 100% company matching.
- Flexible medical and dental packages, a Health Care Spending Account, along with a supportive Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- In-house learning and development opportunities, leadership training, international opportunities.
- An employee referral program – earn up to $2000 for your referral.
- A focus on healthy living through wellness initiatives and an annual fitness reimbursement program.
- Discount Programs and Educational Scholarship Programs for family members.
- A safety focused work environment and ongoing safety training.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interest, however only those being considered will be contacted. Please note:
- Candidates must be legally able to work in Canada at this time. Parkland regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas.
- Parkland Corporation is committed to the principles of Employment Equity. We strive to provide accessibility in employment to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. Parkland Corporation will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability, please notify us upon scheduling your interview.
- Please note that final candidates for this position will be required to undergo a confidential pre-employment background check which may include but not be limited to educational, criminal, credit, drug and alcohol and/or Fitness for Duty testing.
This position will close on May 22, 2023 or when a successful candidate is found.