Employment Status: Permanent Part-Time (CUPE 5348)
Hours: 20 hours per week with availability to work all shifts - days, evenings, and weekends
Primary Location: Glen Abbey branch
Employment Status: Permanent Part-Time (CUPE 5348)
Hours: 22 hours per week with availability to work all shifts - days, evenings, and weekends
Primary Locations: Woodside and Glen Abbey branches (shifts will be worked at both locations)
Do you have a passion for knowledge and excellent customer service skills? Oakville Public Library has seven library branches that are dedicated to serving the diverse community of Oakville. In this role, you’ll support the public, collection and library operations within a branch to provide services that strive to Inspire Oakville.
What you'll do
As a Library Assistant you will:
- Deliver excellent service to customers of all ages by adhering to the AODA’s Customer Service Standard
- Open and close library according to OPL procedures
- Empty book drop and/or sorter; check in library materials using RFID technology and transfer materials to carts for shelving
- Sort, shelve and shelf-read library material; organize and maintain shelves in proper sequence to ensure accuracy and accessibility to materials
- Ensure RFID tags are on library materials and remain active while on shelves
- Operate and troubleshoot sorting equipment and resolve exceptions related to sorter
- Generate, pull and process collection maintenance lists such as holds request list, missing and lost lists
- Identify collection issues such as damaged materials
- Answer directional questions
- Direct customers to appropriate staff for assistance
- Understand and promote OPL resources, programs and services
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff as required
- Assist with room set-up for OPL programs and external room bookings
- Perform general tidy-up and maintenance of branch; clean public computers and replenish supplies
- Develop new skills and participate in professional development opportunities
- Participate on internal and/or external committees as required
- Work in compliance with the provisions of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, other relevant health and safety legislation, and the Oakville Public Library’s Health & Safety Program
- Perform other duties as assigned
Is this a good fit for you?
We're looking for someone who can:
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers
- Communicate effectively, both written and verbal, with good working knowledge of English
- Understand and follow written instructions
- Exercise good judgment and decision making skills
- Multi-task and work accurately in a busy environment
- Respond effectively to change
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Work flexible assignments and a flexible schedule, including morning, afternoon, evening, and weekend shifts
- Handle the physical requirements of the job include lifting library materials, reaching to place materials on shelves, pushing carts, and frequent standing, walking and bending
Your experience and educational background:
- Secondary school diploma with a minimum of 1 year related work experience in a customer service environment, preferably in a library environment
- Experience with Symphony integrated library systems, Microsoft Office Suite and RFID technology would be considered an asset
Who are we?
Oakville Public Library strives to fulfill our mission of cultivating discovery and creativity in every phase of life. We are focused on exceptional customer service to meet the needs of the children, youth, adults, and seniors utilizing our physical or online services. We continue to be agile in our mandate to meet the needs of the residents of Oakville.
What's it like to work at Oakville Public Library?
It's challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, we commit to providing access to tangible resources and programs that inspire, encourage, and provoke thought for the residents of Oakville.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.opl.on.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on October 2, 2023.
The Oakville Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) within our recruitment process upon request. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process please contact Human Resources at [email protected].
A Police Record Check will be required for all employees and volunteers of the Oakville Public Library. Successful applicants must submit the Police Record Check (dated within the last six months) prior to or on the first day of employment.
The Oakville Public Library endeavours to provide a safe environment for all its employees. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.