Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY:
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Workplace Health and Safety department.
We are also proud to be named one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers for 2022!
As a Laboratory Technician, you are responsible for sample processing, including specimen receiving, processing and dispatch, blood collection in adults, children and infants, filing of send-out reports, and other function within the MOH Guidelines. Other responsibilities are:
- Collection of urine samples
- Perform routine 12 & 15 Lead ECG’s according to established procedures
The successful applicant must contribute to creating a safe and healthy environment for patients, staff and others, working in compliance with the hospital code of conduct and the provisions of health and safety policies and legislation. Utilizes protective equipment provided and identifies and reports hazards. In this role you will engage in ethical conduct and strive to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient population and workforce.
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
- Graduate of a recognized Laboratory Technician program, which includes didactic and clinical training in Blood Collection, Biochemistry, Haematology, Microbiology, Histology and ECG
- Ontario Society of Medical Technologist (OSMT / MLPAO) certification
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a hospital laboratory environment
- A strong knowledge of urinalysis
- Clinical and technical experience in electrocardiography application
- Knowledge of laboratory safety procedures and the safe handling of dangerous/infectious goods (TDGs)
- Keyboard proficiency
- Basic understanding of quality control
- Knowledgeable in chemical handling, storage and disposal
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills and the ability work independently or as a team member in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrated problem recognition and problem solving skills
- Effective time management skills, ability to organize work and set principles
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written
- Demonstrates values consistent with SHN’s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
- Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards
- Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community
- Excellent work performance and attendance
- Experience working with EPIC
- Experience working in Histopathology
- Current BCLS
- Ability to speak another language
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our exciting opportunities by following SHNCareers on Twitter and on Instagram .