Beam Suntory is Crafting the Spirits that Stir the World. Rooted in two centuries of family heritage, Beam Suntory has evolved into the world's third largest leading premium spirits company ... where each employee is treated like family and trusted with legacy. With our greatest assets - our premium spirits and our people - we're driving growth through impactful marketing, innovation and an entrepreneurial spirit. Beam Suntory is a place where you can come Unleash your Spirit by making an impact each and every day.
The following position is open in Alberta, Canada.
What makes this a great opportunity?
Located in Calgary, Alberta, Alberta Distillers Ltd (ADL) is an award-winning distillery and member of the Beam Suntory family. We believe in bringing people together, we’ve been doing it since 1946. Through the brands we build, and the experiences we create. Our distillery and products are winning awards and we are proud to call Calgary, Alberta, home. Winner of Distillery of the Decade by the Canadian Whisky Awards in 2020, and the Vodka Producer of the Year at the International Wine and Spirits Competition in 2021. We’re a team that’s moving forward, building on our rich past to grow new opportunities for the future. When you unleash your spirit with us, you’ll inspire a world of connections.
Beam Suntory - With two centuries of family heritage, Beam Suntory is a world leader in premium spirits. As a truly global business, we bring together the best of our culturally diverse heritage. We value both agility and long-term thinking, we share a collective commitment to excellence and a dedication to craftsmanship, and across borders and roles, we collaborate to delight our consumers responsibly, and contribute to a more sustainable society for all of our stakeholders.
Our Vision is Growing for Good and our mission is to be the world’s most admired, fastest-growing premium spirit company. We’re a business that runs on responsibility, integrity, ambition and drive, and we celebrate exceptional performance. We welcome our people to dream big and tenaciously pursue ambitious goals – we call it our Yatte Minahare Spirit.
But perhaps most importantly – we value difference, and we appreciate what each of us can contribute. We inspire each other, and challenge ourselves to innovate, improve, advance new ideas and try new things. We create endless opportunities to Unleash Your Spirit every day in a culture that is charged, creative, challenging and fun.
The Distillery Manager leads the production of spirits, enzymes, and feed by-products for the production process.
Manage and provide alignment of the production process through the administration of capital budgets, controlling operating costs and maintaining contacts with suppliers:
- Routine analysis of process parameters, production reports, laboratory data and information
- Troubleshooting of production process – requests of special lab testing
- Preparation of budgets – review of operating statements
- Preparation of Capital Budgets/Capital Acquisition requests – overseeing implementation of projects
- Ongoing communications (oral/verbal) regarding operations – conducting meetings
- Participate direct and support ISO and 5 S initiatives
- OBW support culture, training and education as well as RCPS
- Continual assessment and evaluation for new/creative ideas in process improvement and providing more effective Laboratory/Production methods and procedures
- Analysis of process – searching for opportunities to improve – develop and assess ideas
- Bench-marking inside/outside industry standards
- Arrange laboratory projects to develop improvement projects
- Present proposals, participate in implementation and optimize process after implementation of changes
- Provide link between laboratory testing and operating needs – participate in evaluation in new methods
- Support Supply Chain Manager sourcing grain and DDG sales
As Distillery Manager, you will provide direction and guidance to staff members, while maintaining representation of the department interests to the organization, while building internal relationships and a continuous learning environment:
- Represent departmental issues to the organization – improve job alignment to solve issues
- Respond to conflicts and solve – create a team approach
- Define departmental objectives – set employee objectives – communicate information of objectives
- Conduct evaluations – align efforts of employees
- Participate in continual upgrading of skills through various outlets
- Engagement activities and culture supporting OBW and Beam Behaviours
- Ensure measuring equipment used in the department are properly calibrated according to the IMS documentation.
Qualifications & Experience
- University degree (Engineering, Chemistry or Sciences)
- Preference given to those who have obtained an International Brewing and Distilling diploma (IBD)
- 3-5 years Production Distilling management experience
- Experience in managing collective agreements
- Knowledge of laboratory and production process controls
- Computer literate – preference to Microsoft Office
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
At Beam Suntory, people are our number one priority, and we believe our people grow together in diverse and inclusive environments where their unique insights, experiences and backgrounds are valued and respected. Beam Suntory is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, military veteran status and all other characteristics, attributes or choices protected by law. All recruitment and hiring decisions are based on an applicant’s skills and experience.