Position Type: Temporary Full Time – 40 hours per week
Location: West Campus
This position is responsible for teaching culinary, food handling, hygiene and sanitation skills to a diverse group of individuals as part of a training program aimed at increasing individual self-sufficiency.
Temporary Full Time – 40 hours per week; Monday – Friday, 7:00am to 3:30 pm.
This temporary position is for 1 year. The employment contract may get extended in future.
What you will be doing in your role
- Directs and works alongside the residents to give them the tools and confidence to be knowledgeable, self-sufficient and have the necessary abilities to prepare and eat healthy meals.
- Teaches food purchasing techniques through on-the-job learning.
- Manages a clean, well maintained, and organized kitchen by instructing residents in basic sanitation, culinary skills and purchasing skills. Ensures food safe handling and all Alberta Health Services Standards are maintained.
- Maintains current food inventories for required Food items by pro-actively utilizing Food Bank donations to reduce food purchases.
- Placing all food and non-food items order in a timely fashion to have no disruptions to the training program.
- Creates a professional, helpful non-threatening learning environment to those who seek to learn healthy food preparations and purchasing.
- Coordinates food service requirements with Food Service Manager and Team Leader while ensuring all material being taught in the classroom and kitchen are concurrent with employers’ expectations.
- Teaches good knife handling skills and basic culinary techniques through cooking demonstrations and practice.
- Assists Food Services department with various catering requirements at East and West Campus.
- Assists with developing a program curriculum with the Food Service Manager and Program Manager.
- Assists in creating a training menu utilizing food from Food Bank.
- Works one on one with residents that may be struggling with the information and tasks.
- Provides written feedback to Food Services Manager and Program Manager on residents’ progress.
- Formulates, problem solves and executes training program with minimal supervision
- Completes and submits maintenance requests for needed work and repair.
Required Education, Experience and Competencies
- Cook Training, Red Seal or equivalent High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Alberta recognized 2-day Food Safety Certified Course (Section 31 of Food Regulations).
- Satisfactory Police Information Check (PIC) with Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Satisfactory Child Intervention Check.
- Alberta Class 5 Drivers License & satisfactory Driver’s Abstract.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience as Cook Instructor.
- Minimum of 3 years work related experience in a kitchen environment in various food service settings.
- An alternate combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Ability to multitask and be flexible to change tasks without prior notice.
- Strong ability to meet deadlines; patience and strong interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office including, Excel, Word, Windows office, Outlook.
- Ability to be self-driven while working with minimal supervision.
Please apply by sending a cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
and please use the competition # CI110923 in your email subject line.
This competition will remain open until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants and those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more than 130 years, The Salvation Army has had the privilege of serving vulnerable people in communities across Canada. Last year, we helped over 1.7 million people. The Salvation Army not only provides the necessities of life such as food, clothing, and shelter, but our programs address needs such as addictions, language barriers, loneliness, unemployment, and family challenges. Our services continually adapt to meet emerging needs.
At work in more than 400 communities across the country, The Salvation Army has grown to become one of Canada’s largest non-governmental providers of social services.
Mission and Core Values
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
Our values underpin all that we do:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable Human Rights Legislation.
If you require a disability related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift
Work Location: In person