Based in Western Canada for over 110 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,300 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
McElhanney Ltd. is seeking a Civil Engineer/ Project Manager to join our growing team in Duncan, BC. This is a great opportunity for a motivated Civil Engineer who has experience leading municipal and land development project teams. This role is ideal for someone who is looking for a challenging opportunity in Civil Engineering, while maintaining the work/life balance that only Vancouver Island can offer.
Our ideal candidate will enjoy working with local governments, First Nations, and private industry, in a fast-paced environment. McElhanney’s culture of mentorship and career growth makes this position ideal for the successful candidate to both mentor junior staff, and to be mentored by senior management and engineering specialists within our organization.
For additional information and opportunities on Vancouver Island, visit our customized Vancouver Island careers page.
- Manage civil and municipal projects
- Carry out and oversee aspects of engineering design for land development and municipal projects, from proposal stage through commissioning of the work
- Develop new business and establish strategic relationships with key clients, agencies and partners
- Prepare and submit superior proposals and technical reports
- Generate invoices for clients and track against agreed client budgets
- Manage multidisciplinary teams, providing mentorship and guidance to junior engineers and technical staff.
- Degree in Civil Engineering with 10+ years of progressive experience in the design and management of land development and municipal infrastructure projects.
- Registration in good standing as a P.Eng. or P.L.Eng. in British Columbia, or eligibility to be registered
- Knowledge of Vancouver Island land development markets and processes, with strong past client relationships is an asset
- Demonstrated sound business development and client liaison skills and a keen entrepreneurial spirit
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with all government levels, construction contractors and developers
- High productivity, attention to detail, and an ability to work well as a team player
- Experience with AutoCAD and Civil3D is considered an asset, as well as municipal infrastructure modeling software.
What Can We Offer You?
- Flexible work hours to accommodate your busy lifestyle
- Maternity leave top-up and parental leave
- Extended health and dental coverage, healthcare spending account, and RRSP matching
- Employee & Family assistance program, which offers 24/7 support online or over the phone
- A workplace culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all
- Competitive salary, participation in our generous performance bonus plan, and opportunity to join an employee-owned firm with potential share ownership
- Financial assistance to support your relocation
- Continuous support for your growth through professional development reimbursement, mentorship programs, and opportunity to join numerous internal committees.
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to learn more. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about our recognition as Canada's Top 100 Employers (2023), visit Top Employer: McElhanney Ltd. (canadastop100.com).
Visit us on Glassdoor to learn more about our employee experience.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
McElhanney is committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion which celebrates the successes that comes from a team diverse in expertise, experiences, and perspectives. We encourage and are pleased to consider all qualified candidates, welcoming all ethnicities, religions, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age, or people with disabilities. Requests for accommodations can be made at any stage of the selection process.
Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
McElhanney is aware of activities where individuals have received fraudulent job offers. Please be advised that McElhanney will not ask applicants for any form of monetary exchange at any point in the recruitment process. To learn more visit: www.mcelhanney.com/careers/fraud-warning. The disclosure of your information in accordance with this Policy and applicable law, including to third party service providers may result in your personal information being transferred outside of Canada, including to the United States. Such transferred personal information may be subject to the laws of these other countries and the laws of other countries regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information may be different from the laws of Canada.